Thursday, January 16, 2014

Way Too

It has been almost two weeks since I posted. Sorry. We have had registration at work, and that is enough to keep me way too busy, way too tired, and way too frustrated. Not only that, but I've been on crutches until recently (I'm still in a walking boot) so my training has been way too light. All I have been able to do is lift weights (upper body) in the back yard gym and swim but not enough of that.

For the first full week of 2014, all I did was

swim twice at DSU for a total of 4,661.4 meters, and 
lift weights four times.

I am now splitting my lifting routine between chest and back/biceps and shoulders, and I'm wondering why I didn't do this long ago. In the past, I have tried to do the entire upper body in one workout. Due to fatigue, something always got shorted, whatever came at the end.

The leg is improving, but the tendon on the lower part of my shin is still sore, and if I can't flex my foot up all the way. I have regained full range of motion downward but not upward. I can now hobble to the poolside without crutches and hurl myself into the water. Also, this week I have hobbled into my little study where I have my bicycle hooked to the trainer, and I've taken the boot off and spent some time on the bike. No pain. It's not much, but it is a start.

This week, I lifted weights Monday, and Tuesday I made it to DSU where I swam

8 X 50 @ 1:00 progressive by 12.5 1-4
8 X 100 @ 2:00 progressive by 25 breathing 3, 5, 5, 3 by 25s
900 pull medium paddles
300 small paddles
Total: 4,200 scy = 3,338.8 meters.

My weight is at its highest point in the last nine years (171.8!!! Monday morning), but I feel confident I will get it down and swim myself into condition as soon as I muster the courage to start back crawling into catfish ponds. My leg has been a hindrance, but I am well enough now to wiggle in and out of my wetsuit. I think. I had planned to go to the pond last Saturday. That morning I had breakfast with my old friend Danny Collins. We did some serious chowing on some waffles and guzzling of coffee. I left the local Waffle House full of excitement and promise. The morning was sunny and warming, and I had planned to drive out to a pond that afternoon. But after I checked with the fishpond man and discovered the water temp was 46 degrees, I began to question just how bad I really wanted to swim. I know many of you, like Shawn C. Turner and others, routinely swim water that cold. But as I lay at home and thought about things, I lost all my motivation. Maybe next Saturday.