Friday, January 23, 2015

Taking My Own Advice

A cold rain is dripping on the awning outside my bedroom window creating a soothing sound that I, the cats, and Jeff find deliciously calming. Jeff is is napping and passing gas, Luvie is napping and snoring, while Baby Kitty refuses to nap and is tearing the house apart. What else is new?

I took my own advice and relaxed. I'm relaxing now, drinking coffee and not fretting over the pond being too cold or DSU closed to outsiders due to a college swim meet that starts today. I am not upset at the blustery, wet, weather that would stop me from running even if I could. I am not even experiencing angst over being kept out of the back yard gym where I spend many a lovely hour lifting and dreaming of swims to come. I may, however, go to Twin Rivers later today if I get caught up on my writing, napping, and coffee sipping. Maybe.

It does help, of course, that I got in a good one last night at DSU where I swam

1,200 warm up
300 (I swam 350) medium paddles, breathing 3/5 by 25s
6 X 50 @ 1:00
2 X 150 medium paddles, breathing 3/5 by 25s
6 X 50 @ 1:00, decline 1-3
3 X 100 medium paddles, breathing 3/5 by 25s
6 X 50 @ 1:00, decline 1-3
8 X 50 kick with fins
End of Masters
200 back kick/swim with fins by 25s
1,200 small paddles (20:29 = 1:42 per)
12 X 100 @ 2:00 hitting 1:31-1:32
400 easy swim
Total: 6,450 yards.

This puts me ahead of last year at this same time by a few thousand yards. One goal I have this time is to build a bigger base and a higher peak before the big June swim with the hopes that I can have a better performance than the last one when I swam pretty well, but had a bad patch where I swam heads up  breaststroke for more than thirty minutes straight. Hope to avoid that this time around.

The foot is better but I am still unable to run. I have now re-diagnosed myself with a stress fracture of the fourth metatarsal of the left foot. Lovely. Believe it or not, I am not pulling my hair out, not fretting, not even grieving over not being able to run though I do want to very much. I am taking my own advice and relaxing.

*Breathe deep. Do it again. That's right. No, don't throw that coffee cup! Don't weep. Relax. Breathe deep.*

No comments:

Post a Comment