Wednesday, September 28, 2016

CC and Me

Recently we've had a rash of dumps at our little church in Carroll County. One Sunday we came out after worship to find a small female cat roaming the parking lot meowing like a kid crying for candy. A little later we discovered two kittens about three weeks old. After standing around a minute or two more, we discovered three more kittens which did not belong to the little mamma and her brood of two. The three were older and larger and obviously not litter mates to the two babies. One of the members made a phone call and a relative came and picked up all the cats. Problem solved.

Two weeks later, however, another little female was there, a friendly but hungry thing that one of the members said she had been feeding for a few days. When Debbie asked my wife if we were taking that one home, Penny said, "It's up to Zane." I grabbed her immediately and placed her in the truck.

We named her CC for Church Cat. She is a tiny female who instantly branded me as her savior and became like a piece of gum stuck to the bottom of my shoe. I loved it and still do. The other cats, however, feared the new thing even though she is half Baby Kitty's size and about one fifth of Luvie's. 

The thing about CC is she likes to hang out. I like cats that like to snuggle and be my buddy. Despite the fact that we took her home on a Sunday, I had her at the vet on Tuesday. I hated to do it, especially that soon, but she needed spaying and we got it done and out of the way. When I took Baby Kitty to the vet, he gave me the treatment for two days. I feared she would do the same, but when I got her back home Wednesday afternoon, she picked right up where we left off being my little baby and bullying the other older, bigger cats. I sometimes find that amusing. 

I guess she's an alpha female or at least a good impersonator of one. First she did it out of fear; she was as afraid of them as they of her. Then she started taking over the house and laying down the law. Now I think she does it for fun. I am not sure she isn't attempting to play at times, but Baby Kitty always flees like the wind out front of a thunderstorm when she charges him, his long tail flowing behind him like a vapor trail does a jet.

The other cats are slowly adjusting. Luvie no longer flees. She even tried to drive him off my chest one morning (she is very possessive of me), but he simply stayed put and she flopped down on the other side of my chest and waited him out. When he left, she took his place. Life is good with cats. I pity anyone who lives without them. They know when they have been given a break, and they pay back "full measure pressed down and running over." She is paying me every day. They all are.

No comments:

Post a Comment