Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Distance Stroke in Two Languages

Tuesday and Thursday nights are Masters Swim Practice at DSU. Petya Petrova, our coach, took over my swim training in September 2007 just after I completed That Dam Swim at Muscle Shoals, Alabama. This was my first swim marathon and before Petya became the Masters coach. At the time, I was either taking or teaching classes on Tuesday and Thursday nights. I would go to the DSU pool at noon on Fridays and Petya would write my practices. I give her the credit for making me the swimmer I am today. She was extremely critical of my style (ouch!) and molded me and built me up physically over a period of months with tons of paddle work. I am convinced that those long paddles sets permanently made me stronger than I ever was. Keep in mind I am a middle-aged adult-onset swimmer.

Petya is getting married in a couple of weeks and moving to Canada. It's not yet clear who her replacement will be. Her parents from Bulgaria are in town for the wedding. Her dad, through Petya's interpretation, coached us last night.  He had a lot of nice things to say about my swimming. When I tried to give her the credit, she wouldn't translate that part but would only say to me, "I got it all from him" (her father and coach for many years). Petya's dad said my stroke was "elegant" and "an endurance stroke." Actually, about the endurance stoke, I had a clue. I'd heard it before, and I'm sure no sprinter. But I guess it's official. I've been told in two languages that I have an endurance stroke.

The practice was:
   800 free/back
   4 x 200 1 & 3 paddles and fins; 2 & 4 swim only
   4 x 100 free with dolphin kick (I felt spastic)
   8 x 50 @ 1:30
   2 x 50 as 25 all out, 25 easy
   100 easy
Total: 2,700 meters

I wanted more, but since there were no lifeguards on duty, I had to leave after practice. Usually I stay and do extra distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment