Monday, May 13, 2013

In Search of a Monster

Randy wanted to train Saturday so we went to Austin 58 for the tall man's first swim there. I had planned to stay in the pond until my arms fell off, but it was cold when we arrived, the wind was blowing like an angry hurricane, and the water was a chilly 70 degrees. So we took a run first doing an easy 3.03 miles.Then we got into the water.
Randy Beets pacing me around the pond.

We did a relaxed two laps (1.55 miles), and then crawled out for some more running. Randy felt like running. Randy felt like running a lot. We did another 4.6 miles before the big guy was ready to get back into the water. After one more lap, Randy had to get out to leave for some meeting with his brothers in Starkville. That left me with the choice to swim alone or go home. I went home.

The residual fatigue from Wednesday was still with me, and I was so tired after 7.6 miles of running and just three laps around the pond that I just wanted to go to sleep on the spot. Really. I barely stayed awake on the drive back to Greenwood, immediately took a bath upon arriving home, and was asleep with Luvie as soon as I crawled into bed. I napped about three hours and only got out of bed the rest of the day and night long enough to use the bathroom and visit the kitchen for snacks. I turned the lights off early Saturday evening and had no problem drifting off for a great night of sleep.

For the week, I
swam 26,633.24 meters
ran 25.48 miles and
walked 3.1 miles.

For the year I have
run 422.56 miles (+266.19) and
swum 291,675.18 meters (+16,981.58 over last year).

Although my grand totals are over last year's, I am losing ground in my swim numbers and it is the wrong time of year to lose ground. Essentially I have one more week to affect my condition before the Chicot Challenge. This week needs to be one of the biggest training cycles of my life before I enter into a two week taper for the big swim. Right now, I am pondering going back to Austin 58 for a monster swim. Frankly, however, my energy feels a little low. I am afraid if I go, I will tap out early. I may go to Twin Rivers for three or four thousand meters and then bust out my big swim tomorrow. I'll let you know. One way or the other, I need a monster swim before the week passes by.

No comments:

Post a Comment