Thursday, April 23, 2015

A Good Day, Yes

It was a good one, Wednesday April 22, 2015, and it following two fine swims at Twin Rivers that already had sent my spirits soaring before the glorious day that saw me get interviewed and photographed by a reporter, take a short swim in a cool pool, and win a 5K all in the same day.

Monday, I went to the pool and did 4,500 meters as

10 X 400 @ 9:00
1 X 300
1 X 200
total: 4,500

There was no sprinting, which I usually do, and not hard intervals. Just an easy swim with a moderate push and a moderate amount of volume. I had no issues with the shoulder. Thank God.

Tuesday, I went back and this time I swam

1,100
10 X 300 @ 6:30
5 X 200 @ 4:25
total 5,100 meters.

No problem with the shoulder. Thank you God.

Another nice thing happened Tuesday. Wilson Carroll, one of the few real open water swimmers I know in this state, invited my wife and me out to his place in Carroll County this Saturday for an open water swim and I think a meal. He even sent me a Google map of the lake and it looks a lot larger than the catfish ponds I've been swimming. Thank you God.

Wednesday morning, while in class, I received a call from a Greenwood Commonwealth reporter, Laura, a friend of my son's, an emigrant from Minnesota. She wanted to do a story on my swimming, so we set up a time to meet and talk at the public library and then had plans go to Twin Rivers where I would do some swimming. Also for the first time ever, the school sent some folks over to cook us hamburgers and dogs in the parking lot. It was nice and the burgers were good.

After lunch, the reporter and I met at the library and talked for about an hour and then went to Twin Rivers. The water was perfect, I'm guessing 76, and she took pictures while I swam. Then I had to leave after only 600 meters because I had to make it to campus for the 5K.

I barely made in time to get on the van that took us out Macon Lake Road where they dumped us, and sent us back to town on a "Go." There were only three runners and a handful of walkers. I meticulously checked out the other runners, school age girls. One of them looked like she could run, but looks really don't tell you much. When I glanced at her shoes I thought, I might win this thing. But, I worried myself, she might play soccer or basketball

When we started, soccer/basketball girl went straight to the front. She looked strong and smooth. Second place is not bad, I mused. The other girl was beside me, to my left, and matched my every stride. When I picked the pace up the smallest amount, she did too.

At least it was cloudy as we ran down the lonely road back towards town and glory. Soccer/basketball girl's lead stopped at about thirty meters. Maybe she will come back. After about four tenths of a mile, she placed both hands on her hips while continuing to run. 

There is hope

She is hurting

Be patient.

Stride matching girl began to breathe hard and fell back. Then I saw it. The gap between me and soccer/basketball girl narrowed ever so slightly. 

I'm going to get her.

Relax.

Hold pace

Then it happened. The gap that was closing at a creep became a colossal collapse. I braced myself for the fight I was sure would come when I caught soccer/basketball girl but it didn't happen. She immediately slowed to a walk and was breathing so hard I genuinely worried she might die. I looked back as I went around and noticed that Chief Manuel had pulled his van along side of her. Apparently, he was worried too.

At eight tenths of a mile, I was in sole possession of first place and went through the first mile in a blistering 8:13. Wow! I tried to hold but slowly slowed until I finished with an 8:31 average. Not good, but it is what it is. It was a good workout, and I hope to piggyback this into a better run Saturday when we travel to Kosciusko. Last year there I averaged a little over a 9:00 minute pace. While I was running at Moorhead, I thought back to the come-to-Jesus meeting I had with myself after the 300 Oaks. If I keep training hard and smart and still bomb at the Oaks, I'll know my best running days are over. I think I already know. 

I then jogged back to soccer/basketball girl and ran in with her. After that I jogged back to stride-matching girl and finished with her. Then I shuffled all the way to the back of the pack, to the last walker, Stephen Brunson, and walked in with him. I finished with a hard 3.0 and a total of 4.75. Now I need to get fresh for the weekend.

So, I had a free lunch, got interviewed, photographed, swam, and won a 5K all in one day. 

And we are back on our four-day schedule. 

Sweet.


No comments:

Post a Comment