Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Little Guy Is Home

I finished last week with a 22:00 minute trainer ride, a 2.55 mile run, and 4,000 meters of swimming Thursday. Friday it was 22:30 on the trainer, 2.02 miles of running, and 1,000 meters of swimming at Twin Rivers. I did not swim Saturday but I did lift weights, build some more homemade exercise equipment, spend 34:00 minutes on the trainer, and run 2.09 miles. Usually I don't do anything on Sunday except preach and rest; however, since it was Father's Day and we were going to the in-laws, my son wanted to run part of the way. We got out on Humphrey Highway and ran the final 4.28 miles. I napped the rest of the day.

Besides the training, it was a very emotional week for me and my wife. Jeff, out little weenie-dog, was in the hospital from Tuesday until the following Monday. At one point it looked like he might not make it. We must have cried a thousand tears each. He is the sweetest little fellow I've ever known, and we love him like he was a child. Saturday was tough on us because we were expecting him to come home, but the vet said he wasn't ready. Then one of our cats, Alley, a fourteen-year-old rescue, died and our sorrow was compounded.

For the week, I
ran 26.41 miles
swam 11,200 meters
lifted weights two times
walked 6.45 miles and
spent 78.5 minutes on the bike trainer.

I finished a draft of the Chicot Challenge, but I want to do some more work on it and select some pictures. Speaking of pictures, I suppose I should start posting some of those now. Here is one:


The Fasttrack Fatties just before the start of the Challenge. On the advice
 of my wife, I wore pink instead of grey duct tape on my nose.
 
Monday, June 17, was a slow start day that consisted of a lot of coffee drinking and anxiety as we awaited word from the vet on the  fate of our little fellow. I finally called them and was told I could pick Jeff up just before noon. Now I owe the vet a new vacation home in Florida, but the dog is worth it. He's home, we're happy, and Jeff is once more the Chief of Security at 333 West Monroe Ave in Greenwood, MS.

I feel like I am finally recovered from the Challenge although I'm still enjoying the relaxed training schedule. Monday afternoon I swam 2,500 at Twin Rivers, and earlier in the day I put in a 40:00 minute trainer ride followed by a 3.17 mile shuffle. Then I did some weights, concentrating on my low back. The three-mile run will be the longest one until Saturday when Forrest and I are doing the Hotter n Hades Half Marathon in Leland, MS. My goal for that race is just to go run and see what happens. It will be very hot, and I have been informed that shade is pretty much non-existent on the course, so mostly this is a training run and an experience, some time to spend with my son.
 

 
 
As I type this, I sip some coffee and periodically reach over and pet Jefferson. He is a good napper, better than his owner even, and life is good with him and Luvie here to keep me company.



No comments:

Post a Comment