Monday, August 26, 2013

Rest of the Week

The week began well and it ended well. Thursday I ran 4.58 miles and instead of driving to DSU, I went to Twin Rivers in order to save the time so I could swim more. I did

1,700
4 X 300 pull, medium paddles, :30 rest
500 easy
4 X 200 pull, small paddles, :20 rest
1,000
Total: 5,200 meters.

Friday I was off so I loaded my stuff and went to the new pond. I alternated swimming and running. I did

swim 1.99 miles
run 2.25
swim 1.21
run 2.35
Total: 3.2 miles of swimming and 4.6 miles of running.

I intended to and needed to do more swimming, but I was tired and lost both Mo and Jo so I went home.

My grandson, Zane, had his eighth birthday party Saturday so we went to Skene. They have a new above ground pool that is 41 feet long. I did some laps and playing. I really don't know how far I swam, but I put 250 meters in my training diary. We drove home via Monday Road, and I got out at Craigside and ran 5.6 miles home. It was a breakthrough run for me. I had no plan other than to run home. Most of my runs this week have been dreadfully slow. I let the legs find their own pace and before I know it I was at a low 10:00. The low 10:00 turned into a high 9:00 which turned into a low 9:00 and then a high 8:00. Unless I do multipacing, most of my training runs or at a 10:30 pace or slower, sometimes much slower. My second miles was an 8:12. Not bad for an old man, alone, and at the end of the week, which means less than fresh legs. I hope this equals a minute per mile faster come Oaks day when I take on Randy Beets.

Sunday I did an easy 40:00 on the bike trainer and lifted some weights. The shoulder is better and I managed three sets  of 75 pounds on the bench press. I used to start at 115 and work up, but I was pleased with the 75 since that is the most I've been able to do after hurting the shoulder.

For the week, I

swam 16,317.7 meters
walked 3.63 miles
spun 40:00 minutes
lifted weights two times and
ran 37.72 miles.

It was a good week running, and I am finally coming around to good form. I also feel like I'm on pace for The Great Noxapater Journey Run. Lately, I've been able to do something after my hard workouts. Right now, I think I am fit enough to do the first two days. Thus the excitement is starting to build. I have wanted to do this for years, and finally it looks like it might come to pass. Also, the shoulder, while not 100% yet, is coming along well enough that I am sure I will fully recover. At one point, I thought my marathon swimming days might be over, but now I have hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment