Sunday, May 22, 2022

Longest Run in Louisiana

Saturday I did my longest run ever in the State of Louisiana. The longest in that state, not my longest ever. Friday I did nothing, and I mean nothing. Since Friday was Penny and my 45th wedding anniversary, I skipped the bicycle ride and slept in. I had intended to go to the pool for a swim, but the coffee was good so I stayed in bed. Then it was time to pack. We had plans to go to Louisiana. Penny was attending a women's conference at the Rayville Church of God, and Jimmy Pelly and I had plans for a run.

We left about noon and stopped at Bumpers in Leland for lunch. After that, a reporter from the Greenwood Commonwealth called to interview me about the upcoming Crazy Man Quadrathon. We chatted on the phone for a few minutes and that was that. The article came out in the weekend paper the next day.

Eventually we made it to Monroe where we planned to overnight, shop, and have a nice supper somewhere. We found what we were looking for right early, which is amazing since neither one of us know anything about that town. We saw some stores that Penny likes, got a room nearby, and even found a Longhorn Restaurant. Bingo. 

So I dropped Penny somewhere, found a Dick's Sporting Goods, and did some browsing of my own. After the shopping, we went to Longhorn's. I ordered their biggest steak, of course, and it was good, yeah.

The next morning we ate breakfast at IHOP. Then I dropped Penny at the conference. After that, Jimmy and I drove the course he had planned for us to run. Then went back to his house and took off. I had run six miles in Louisiana many years ago. This route was 9.2 so that would make a PR for me. I did it. It was hot and humid out there. Fortunately, we got some cloud overs and it was windy. If it had not been windy, that course would have been dangerous in that heat and humidity. I was slow as mud, but I made it for a solid workout.

Penny and I drove home after her conference was over. We had a nice night and day there. As usual, however, we were glad to get home. It's nice to go. It's better to come home. The cats were lonely, and our house was cold. Perfect. Thank you, Jesus, for a nice trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment