Saturday, September 19, 2015

300 Oaks

I can't believe it's been a year since I last ran and wrote about Greenwood's famous 10K, the 300 Oaks. Last year, after several consecutive years of declining performance, I had a come-to-Jesus meeting with myself. For the second year in a row.
My wife and I before walking
to the start.


The prospects of me declining again were irritating, annoying, terrifying. I came up with a game plan (again) and vowed to turn my fortunes around or shuffle off into the sunset of ultra-marathons never more to be spotted on the starting lines of any race shorter than 26.2.

Did it work?

Last year, I ran a disappointing 57:08 for a 9:15 per mile average pace. Finishing 2nd in my age group was little consolation. Am I really that old? I asked myself over and over. Is it all down hill from here? Can a return to better runner happen if I train hard, train long, train smart?

I had a year to work on it, a year to answer that question.

My son and I just before the start.
To make a short story long, yes, and no. I ran a 54:11 this morning, an almost three minute improvement over last year. That was nice, but not all I wanted. I ran 315 more miles in 2015 than before the 2014 race. I did more tempo training, mutli-paced efforts, more long runs over the summer. I committed to strength work (a bit late). I did everything right. Almost.

What I did not do was lose weight. The scales said I weighed 169.8 this morning. What!?!?!?!?

I have no excuse other than my wife (I think she was bribed by my son) has been force feeding me ice-cream every night for the last few weeks. I worked and he won the battle for the family championship. I am disappointed, but I am proud of him. Next year, I'll lose the weight and kick his butt. Wait for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment