Saturday, September 12, 2015

I Ran to Heaven

Sixty-nine was what the Weather Channel App on my phone said as I left the parking lot of the Baptist Church in Holcomb at 8:21 a.m. and headed out for another day of rambling on the roads. That was better than last Friday by a few degrees and the prospects for a long enjoyable shuffle/hike had me feeling a deep-seated joy and mild anticipation on the inside. 

Like a week ago, the little town really did match the overused description of "sleepy" as not a dog spoke, not a door slammed, and not a human voice was to be heard as I once more started with a slow walk to warm up and set my metabolism in the fat-burning zone. This time I strolled a full mile before beginning my shuffle out Sparta Road. 

Unlike last week, however, I had a plan which was to go all the way to Highway 35, turn north on it back towards town, find Hillside Road and run it to Childs Road which would take me to Cross Road, then to the highway again. From there, I would go almost to town and then do an out-and-back on Holcomb-Sweethome Road, thus making a big loop and seeing sights I had never seen before.

Running for the third week in a row on Sparta was neat in that I had a familiar scenery but one I had only seen a couple of times. I also had the excitement of knowing I was headed for unexplored roads. My first shuffle was 4.05 miles and took me to the creek below Sparta Church. I walked up to the church, took a selfie in front of their sign, and then walked around looking for a water hydrant. I noticed they had electrical outlets in the covered slab which I assume is where they conduct eatings at the church. I could charge my phone here, I thought, and then I found a water hose. I did not need water, but it is nice to know I could get some there if I needed it on a future run.

I made it to Highway 35 after 8.85 miles. I had done the same thing last week, but this time, instead of doing a little out-and-back south and then heading back on Sparta, I turned north. I had ridden this highway in a truck. I had ridden this highway on a bicycle. But I had never traveled a single step of it on foot. That was changing today.

The weather was warm now and the forecast was for a high of 91. That meant my drinking rate would increase throughout the day. If I were to exceed last week's distance of 21.01 miles, I would have to be resupplied at some point. That is what the jaunt out Holcomb-Sweethome Road was about. When I got there, I would be within a mile of my truck and I would know exactly how far to go to get the added distance. I was thinking of at least 22 miles and maybe, if things went well, the full marathon distance.

I arrived at Hillside Road with 10.18 miles on the legs. I began a walk there and pulled an energy bar out of my Nathan Hydration Pack and ate. I wore a Camelbak Classic for my fluid needs and an empty Nathan over the top of that. I like the Nathan because of the mesh pockets on the front which I use to store a handkerchief, a notepad, and my phone. When I wear it over another pack, I take the bladder out of the Nathan and use that space for food and other supplies. At the bottom of the Nathan I had placed a partial roll of Kinesio tape and a pair of scissors. It is always nice to have the option of working on your feet if need be.

Most of Hillside Road was new to me. I had done a short stint on the other end of it last week, but now I was seeing totally new scenery which was mostly woods with an occasional house place. I ate and drank some, finished walking a mile, and then began to shuffle again until I came to the junction of Hillside/Childs where I stopped and took a picture of the road sign. Not everyone had a picture of that. But I do.

I shuffled Childs Road until I came to another road which I thought was Cross, but unlike all the other ones in this area, this one had no sign. So I took a left instead of a right and not too much farther, maybe a half mile, I came to Sparta Road and I knew where I was. I then turned around and made my way back to Highway 35.

Once back on 35, I knew for sure I was going to need some fluid. I began to look at every house I passed. I usually don't stop unless I see someone outdoors. I made it all the way to Holcomb-Sweethome Road with 17.24 miles on the legs. The road is on top of a ridge that overlooks Holcomb. I was not far from the truck, but I had to go out Sweetome to get the distance I wanted. I also need fluid. I was thirsty and my pack only had a few ounces left. A mile or so back I had tried to text Jessica who helped me out last week. She didn't answer right away. There was a house on both sides of the highway. I heard a four wheeler on my left. Then I broke my normal mode and crossed the highway to the house on my right despite not seeing anyone there.

Three cars outside and a running clothes dryer inside, but no one came to the door. What else is new? So I crossed back over 35, to the sound of the four wheeler like I should have done at first. An old man, mid-eighties I guessed, approached me on his machine and stopped. I extended my hand, told him my name and what I was doing. Then I asked for water. 

"You're just out walking?" he asked.

"And running. Seventeen miles," I added. "This is how I play."

He looked at me like I was the worst sort of crazy. I took no offense. He pointed to a shop that had one end open and a sink close to the open side.

I filled my Camelbak, the two bottles on my Fuelbelt, and then drank and drank and drank. I thanked him profusely and left, recrossed the highway, and headed out Sweethome Road.

It was hot now and shade was a stranger to this stretch of asphalt. Looks like I made a poor choice on this road, I thought. Then my right foot started feeling tender in more than one place. I began looking for any sort of shade where I could stop and tape my foot. Finally, I found one little patch under a tree and I sat, unloaded my packs, and pulled out the kinesio. I checked my phone and saw that Jessica had responded. 

"Where are you?" she asked.

"I stopped at a house and filled up," I answered. 

I taped three toes on the right foot. I had no issues last week. Why now? My mind found no answer to that question, but I was thankful I had the foresight to pack the tape. You never know.
No picture can give a clue to the
beauty I saw here.

I ate something, a Moon Pie I think, and didn't have to limit my water intake but drank all I wanted, having plenty now. When I started back shuffling, the tape had helped but I still felt discomfort in my foot. The full marathon distance was no longer an option for the day. A little farther down Sweethome, I rounded a bend and then BAM! I ran out of one world and into another.

Even the road changed. It went from a dull asphalt to a fresh chipseal that was so new and bright it almost glowed. On each side of the road, the woods gave way to fresh clipped, pretty pasture that stretched for as far as my eyes could see. To the right up ahead sat a house on the highest hill around. This must be what going to heaven is like, I thought.

I stopped and looked and marveled. One reason I do these runs is to have these experiences. I love to travel. I can't afford to go to Paris, but I can afford a rambling run on Holcomb-Sweethome Road. 

A tear drained down each cheek. I thought of the passage: Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. (I Corinthians 2:9)

I must come back on foot and yet again in my wife's truck with her in it to share this with her, I mused.

Then due to my sore foot, I turned and shuffled back to town, back to the truck with a renewed zeal to make at least one more run in this area.

No comments:

Post a Comment