Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Praise God Anyway

Since I swam 1,100 Monday, I went to the pool to swim 1,150 Tuesday. I didn't make it. The biceps tendon was too tender to continue past 650. Dude. I am falling off a cliff. Or maybe jumping off one.

I went home and watched Paul Finebaum while wishing I had a road sign to shoot. That would make me feel better. But only for a little while. I am willing to back off. I was out of the water for twelve days, and I have cut the weight lifting way way way back. Where is my shotgun?

I went outside to see Pee Wee and workout some. It was pull day and I did five sets of the chest-supported row, one set of lat pulldowns, and one set of machine curls. Oh yeah, I did some external rotations. So then I went inside and hung out with CC.

The school day was nice. Since it is homecoming week, we have had something special each day. Monday they fed us breakfast. Tuesday we had lunch and it was good, yeah. The ladies conducted a very competitive eating contest which was won by the diminutive Katie Jones. Despite the desperate contenders, she won first and second place. Buckner Showanda finished third, and Monday's champion, Kathryn Ledbetter, dropped to an honorable mention.

Wednesday is hat day. As I type this, I am wearing the prize-winning ancient worn out straw cowboy hat. I look like palace and feel like palace also. I think the Culinary School is feeding us lunch. Yee Haa! 

The food was really good, Monday and Tuesday. My day was really long, Tuesday. I have four classes on Tuesday and one of them is a three hour job. It is my favorite: Film as Literature. At this point, however, I am not sure I have anyone who is going to pass that one. I have worked really hard to make that course easy, fun, and informative. I tell them from day one that if they do not learn the things I ask them to, they will not pass. So far they have not learned. Last week we watched The Journey of August King. Each week we watch a movie and the next week we open the class with me asking, "Why this movie?" After seven weeks, they should shout the answer: hero's journey and Christ-figure! I did not get a word. I asked again and again and again. Not. A. Word. The answers are on the board, by the way. Yeah, you can't make this stuff up.

Praise God from whom all blessings flow. Even if no one passes that class, I am and will enjoy it like nothing else I teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment