Thursday, September 27, 2018

Nekkid at Work

Thankfully I didn't need it. The rain had temporarily stopped when I drove up at work. We have been in monsoon season since late August, and I purposefully left my raincoat at home. But the other stuff was an accident.

The other stuff is my work keys, which is not nearly the imposition it sounds like. Sunita unlocked my office, and one of the housekeepers unlocked my classroom door. But the ones that hurt, that made me feel weird and nekkid and out of place were leaving my watch and my cell phone.

What?!?!?!?!?

Yeah, I did it.

I can remember teasing my children about their life-support machines, i.e. cell phones. Now I am just as bad. Without it, I really do feel unclothed, unprepared, out of sorts. How will I check Facebook all day long, and what if someone texts me? Those are real problems. I suppose one way to survive is to approach it that way, as a survival test sort of like Naked and Afraid, the television show where a man and a woman are dropped naked into a wilderness scene and they attempt to survive for twenty-one days.

When I used to drive that 1971 GMC pickup that I purchased for $200, I approached it like camping out. To drive that thing from Greenwood to Jackson, Mississippi and back was a real ordeal, one that took a special mindset. I did it for years when I was in seminary at Wesley Biblical. Now I am ten minutes into my professional day and I'm wondering how I can make it. I will have to revert to the camping-out mentality. I am roughing it today. Going without all the technology that has invaded our lives and has made us dependent on it.

I had a colleague once who gave up Facebook for Lent. Heck, I'm a pastor and I think that is extreme. But if she could do it for a month, I should be able to last for one day. It's not even a full day. I will be off at 1:30 and headed home to my phone and watch and cats. Ah, the cats will give me comfort. They always do.

Not only that, but I have the computer. I can check Facebook and type blog posts and look at Twitter. That eases the pain some, but it still is going to be tough. I just hope the cats recognize my distress when I get home and give me the attention I need. Let it be, Lord Jesus, let it be.

No comments:

Post a Comment