Tuesday, September 11, 2018

New Zion

I was a little confused at first when Penny texted and asked me to email her some information on the Chicot Challenge. Marvin, one of her co-workers, requested it because he wanted to present it to his church, or something like that.

"I told you about this a long time ago," she shot back in a text.

Well, if you know me, you know I have a forgetter that works overtime. So I wrote something up and sent it to her, and she told me to add a thing or two, which I did.

The next day she informed me that New Zion Missionary Baptist Church had selected me, to receive an award based on Team Centerville's work on behalf of diabetes. We were invited to attend their Sunday morning service September 9th at 11:00 am. I couldn't wait.

I took my suit to the cleaners, shined my shoes, and even trimmed my mustache for the event. We made it to the church just in time to beat the start by almost a minute. The foyer was filled with maybe twenty-five men all dressed in black suits, white shirts, and red ties. One of them smiled big, grabbed me and gave me a back-crunching hug. This, no doubt, was Marvin the man who works with my wife and who had asked for the information.

We, Penny and I, were ushered inside and down to the front where we sat on a reserved pew with Bill Clay and Kenderick Cox, other award recipients. A little later, we were joined there by Sheila Mitchell the only one from our congregation to make it. Then those men we saw in the foyer began to sing as they marched/danced down the western aisle and onto the stage where they sang with a vigor, joy, and harmony.

For me, at least, it is rare to see this many men in church. We found out it was Men's Day and they intended to celebrate. I soaked in the singing while my eyes gazed over the ancient but magnificent church. Somehow I picked up on the fact that they plan to build a new sanctuary. It made me a little sad to think this house of worship may be replaced, but a glance around told me they really do need more room. Every pew was packed and the wall next to the foyer was lined with folding chairs, each one filled with someone who had a smile on his or her face. I knew that because the offering was taken by section. We got up, put our gifts into the plate, and circle the sanctuary on our way back to our seats.

Before long, the place was rocking like a 1960s Elvis concert. I felt exuberant at the celebration, the freedom, the worship. Amens abounded. Praise the Lords rang out. I kind of wanted to run and shout but was a little too shy. Songs and worship went on and on but I never felt tired or like things were dragging. Everything was well planned. 

Marvin, Rev. Dr. Calvin Collins, and Dr Jerryle Briggs, Sr., MVSU's eight president (who was the speaker for the day), presented the framed certificates to me, Bill Clay, and Kenderick Cox. The honor I felt was immense. It was truly touching especially when I remembered how downcast I had been in the months leading up the this year's Chicot Challenge.

Briggs was brief, focused, and appropriate (except for a couple of comments on genocide -- Do people really believe this?). His title was "Passing the Torch" which was also the theme of the day. He addressed the need to work with today's youth. He addressed their need of role models. He addressed their need of mentors, and how we need to show then another way. When it was all over, I found myself wanting more, wanting to attend another New Zion worship service. One of the problems with being a pastor is you don't get to visit much because you are always at your own church. I'll be on the lookout for special meetings at Calvin Collins' church, and Penny and I will go back when we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment