Monday, July 14, 2014

Journal Entry

In case you didn't notice, my last blog post, "Algoma," was the first installment of the long promised genre that I created: Historical Cycling. I will share some more pieces from this new art form in the future. Since I'm not cycling a lot now, I am not writing much in that manner and had not intended "Algoma" to be a Historical Cycling piece. But then the old man showed up. What can I say? It happens.

Today is a no-nonsense journal entry which is what this blog usually is. Below is last week, July 7 through 13.

Monday I started the day with an early morning bike ride with Brian Waldrop. I don't always get up early, but when I do I enjoy it. It was sort of neat to see the sun come up. We rode 15.3 miles before he went home to prepare for work, and I went home for a nap. After a short nap, I went to the hills and ran7.55 miles. That afternoon, I met John at Twin Rivers where I swam

1,200
13 X 100 @ 1:57
2 X 400 @ 8:15 with small paddles and floating 25 per 100
500
Total: 3,800 meters.

Tuesday I walked 1.41 miles working in the yard and between sets of weight lifting. For some reason I can now not remember, I ran on the dreadmill for 2.15 miles and then met Big John at the pool where I did

1,400
20 X 50 @ 1:30
10 X 150 @ 3:15 medium paddles
300 easy
Total: 4,200 meters.

Wednesday it was more walking and weightlifting, more running (2.52), and more swimming

1,500
3 X 100 @ 1:57
600
16 X 50 @ 1:30 with small paddles
Total: 3,200 meters.

Since Twin Rivers was closed to us Thursday, John rested while I went to DSU for a session with the Mad Swimming Scientist and the team. We swam

800
6 X 400 odd paddles,  even breathing 3/5 by 25
200 small paddles
Total: 3,400 meters.

By Friday I was feeling very tired so all I did was a run but I tried to make it a good one, a Vvo2 max session (OK I read too much). It ended up being 3.41 miles of multi-paced work.

My wife and I went the the Tanglefoot Trail Saturday. I have already written about that. What I didn't tell you was that on the way home, I began to get sore all over my body. By the time we made it to Greenwood, I unloaded the truck, took a bath, and went to bed. I had fever and felt like the old Jerry Clower joke: just shoot up in here amongst us cause one of us got to have some relief. Sunday, we stayed home because the little church we last visited and want to start attending was closed due to the pastor being on vacation and the air being out. I was in bed all day. Now, Monday morning, I feel better, but not 100%. I think I am going to lounge a lot throughout the day and maybe swim tonight. No running, no lifting, no heavy thinking, no yard work. That's the plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment