Monday, June 1, 2015

Feeling Reflective

Last week was troubling in several ways. First, my swim volume dropped precipitously due to weather, lack of energy, and loss of zeal. I know it does a lot of good to complain about the weather but sometimes I can't help myself. I got weathered out of a few swims and had a couple cut short. I would have been much happier had I been able to train as much as last year on the week before event week when I got in 25,000 meters. This year it was only 12,000. Another reason for my angst has been my left shoulder which has slowly progressed but still gives my pause. Then, while swimming the pond, my right shoulder started paining me. !!!!!!!!!

Monday I spent 12:00 on the bike trainer, shuffled 3.12 miles, and lifted some weights. At Twin Rivers, I only swam 2 X 1,000 due to some funny feelings in my shoulders. Note the plural.

Besides 12:15 on the trainer, Tuesday I ran 5.72 miles and went to the pond. I thought I would get a long swim in, but I was so tired I only did 2,622 meters. I think the weather may have been a factor too. I didn't write it down.

Wednesday there was a party at Twin Rivers, but by the time I found that out I was short on time and more short on energy. I ran 3.16 miles and then watched some reruns of Finding Bigfoot. 

Thursday  was another disappointing day. I did 13:15 on the trainer and 4.05 on the feet. Then I went to the pond with the idea of getting in that last big swim. I stopped after 3,845 meters. I was just done. 

I was sure Friday was the day I'd get the last big swim in. But at the pond, I sat in the truck and watched the lightening strike all about. Then I went out and shuffled 4.12 miles while I waited on some clouds to pass. When they did pass, I was once more too tired to swim hard or far. 

Saturday I went out for a 10.52 mile run and didn't even try to swim. I just had no mind or energy for it. Geez.

Sunday I went to church while Penny went to her dad's where we had plans to celebrate his birthday which is on the same day as mine. At church, Gerald prayed for me and so did the pastor. That touched me deeply. Brother Gary preached Romans Chapter 8, and I felt like God was speaking to me to have faith. One verse we are all familiar with is 8:28-- For we know that all things work together for good to them who love God who are called according to His purpose. I sensed God was challenging me to view all the struggles I've had in preparation for this swim as interventions from God to work things out His way. A few weeks back I was in a good place mentally and physically. Then I suffered that fall and both mind and body sort of fell apart. Now, I am trying to rely on my faith to carry me through and make up the difference in what I couldn't and can't do for myself. 

After leaving service, I drove to Hillbilly Heaven, which is only five miles from Centerville Church. I walked up to the cemetery where Louise is buried.



For the week, I 

swam only 12,660 meters,
ran 30.17 miles,
spun 50:30,
lifted weights once, and
walked 5.07 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment