Saturday, November 5, 2016

Vardaman 5K

The Johnsons, Debbie and Gerald, arrived at our house a little before 6:00 am. It was dark outside and cold or at least what I call cold. I reminded myself that although I dislike rising early, I rarely regret it when I do. I had no sorrows at the end of this day either, only good memories of good times with good friends.

We drove to Vardaman, a small town located along Highway 8 in northeast Mississippi, to attend their annual Sweet Potato Festival. In addition to vendors lining the downtown streets, part of the town's yearly celebration involves hosting a 5K. The race started at 8:00 am, thus necessitating our early departure.

This was Penny's and my first trip to the town and festival. I have driven by the village many times, but like so many other dots along the map, I had no exposure to the town itself or its people. So when we got there and parked in the hamlet's grocery store parking lot, I got out and bolted in search of the race start. 

I walked until I found a policeman who told me to go to the water tower, which I did and found a table and a few shorts clad people milling about trying to stay warm on our first really chilly morning. I assumed they were runners and I assumed right. I registered, payed my $18 entry fee, and asked the volunteer at the table how many runners were signed up. 

"You make thirty-eight," she answered. 

I then began to warm up a bit and chatted briefly with some of the other participants.

"I like this one," one middle-aged tall man told me "because it is so low key. Nothing fancy here. We just go out and run."

I found his word accurate, and I fell for the race's charm in part for the same reason he expressed. I also liked the course which is mostly delta flat but has two hills one of which caused me some pain in my thighs and chest. Just last week, I ran the two MDCC races where I averaged 9:12 per mile. I hoped, as we lined up ready to start, to drop it a little below 9:00. Those two school races along with a long run Tuesday, I reasoned, should tune me up a little. On the negative side, I weighed 171.6 this morning. Terrible.

I tried to hold back but went out a little too quickly. Then I settled down after about a half mile in and hit a rhythm that was tough but one I though I could hold. My splits were

mile one - 8:54
mile two - 9:04
mile three - 8:42
.13 - 8:27
time - 27:50
average per mile - 8:52

These numbers show that my fitness progressed a little with the last two weeks' running. This one was on a cool morning which no doubt helped the average some, but I reason that the two hills at least partly negated that advantage. In short, I ran hard, was pleased with my performance, and had a good experience.

After finishing the race, I went out for some additional light running and got in another 1.1 miles. Then I found Gerald at the start/finish line and we waited for the awards ceremony. I took first place in the 60 and over group. When the other age group winners were announced, I did not know what they received in place of a trophy. It looked like some sort of card, a gift certificate? I didn't know. But when they handed me mine, I quickly saw that it was an envelope with some cash inside. What?!?!?

That's right. I got a T-shirt, and great experience, and $15 bucks cash for my efforts. Not a bad deal. That means they lost money on me, but they gained a new runner who will probably go back as long as my old man legs can still shuffle a bit.

After the race and awards ceremony, Gerald and I did our shopping. We made the whole loop and tried to shop like our wives taught us. I was in the market for a folding knife and some honey. Gerald was on a quest to find a cook book. We looked at every vendor, and I examined knives at three of them. Only after looking at everything did we begin to spend money. I bought the lightest folding knife I found to replace the one I carry when I train to protect myself from cougars and coyotes. It no longer locks so if I had to use it, I might cut my own fingers off if it folded up on me. I sprung for a pint of honey and a bag of pig skins. Gerald found his cook book, two of them. He also bought honey and pig skins, and then we went back to the truck.
Gerald and I at the start/finish line.

It was now around 11:00 o'clock and we weren't there too long before the wives came back. All their shopping had them as giddy as a deer hunter who had just killed a Boone and Crockett buck. We then left and drove to Grenada where we had a nice lunch at Jake and Rips. Gerald and I even got to watch some of the Mississippi State versus Texas A&M game as well as the Ole Miss/Georgia Southern match up.

We arrived home with some afternoon left. I took and nap and then went to the pool. The water had dropped from 75 to 72. That was OK. I enjoyed an easy 2,600 meters and then settled in for some serious football watching and cat petting. Right now the Alabama/LSU game is in the third quarter. CC is sleeping at my feet, as happy as a dead pig in the sunshine. So am I, that happy. It has been a good day.
CC and I watching the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment