Thursday, December 7, 2017

Thursday Morning

I had them all and it was great. Baby Kitty was curled and leaning on my left leg while CC draped herself over my right one. Their purring radiated up my body making my eyelids droop. I drifted in and out of napping despite the hot coffee that slid down my throat like a child slipping down a slide in the park. Jeff was at my left side adding some welcome warmth in a too chilly house. His rhythmic snoring had a further relaxing effect like the tick tock of a clock. Luvie was a foot away on his back, dreaming evidently, his twitching tail and shaking foot belying his sound sleep. 

For the first time I realized how CC likes to make eye contact. The other cats, not so much, but she is always looking me dead in the eye. What is she thinking? I mused. Does she remember me picking her up and putting her in the truck? Just like Luvie a few years before when we rescued him, she instantly knew she had a home and her thankfulness and approval were evident from that day to this one as is his. Cats are special like that.

"Life is good when you're living like you should" is a snatch of lyrics from the intro music to Alaska: The Last Frontier, the Discovery Channel's documentary about an extended family's adventures and struggles living off grid in the forty-ninth state. That's how I feel right now. One thing that always bugged me about that show, however, is the fact that there are no cats in any of the households or none that I ever saw. They seem to think they live in paradise, but how can life without cats be nirvana? I don't get it.

What I do get is that God gives us simple pleasures everyday if we take the time to look, listen, and feel. Look into the Bible daily. Read and let God minister to your soul from the pages He penned for you. Look into the eyes of a beloved pet and see the love God has placed there for you. Listen to their purrs, snores. When you go outside, listen to the birds that sing. Let heaven's gift sweeten your day. Feel the fur of your pets body, the cool air on your face when you step outdoors. Feel your chest as it rises and falls, each breath a testimony to the grace of God. Feel the coffee's warmth in your mouth, its tasted, its goodness. Enjoy it all, and thank God for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment