Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Comeback 71

Monday, I spent a good bit of the day in the yard cleaning, fixing things, and doing some mild weight training. Yeah, I'm on the comeback trail again.

I know, I know. This is like the 71st or 83rd time I have attempted to revive my athletic life. Heck, forget athletic, how about a little health. I don't know what happens, but I have been failing and failing and failing. Not this time, I say to myself. Again.

After all, I know what this stuff is all about. Less than a year ago, on June 3rd to be exact, I waded into Lake Chicot and swam for 16 hours nonstop. Now I am fat, I huff when I walk, and I worry about sudden death.

Sigh.

I was encouraged last week when I was able to shave the back of my neck a little past mid-line with my right hand. That's improvement and I mean real improvement. It's also confusion. I've been stalling on making an appointment with the doctor I decided was my best option to fix my shoulder. Being able to shave my neck a half inch beyond the center of my spine gave me hope, hope that maybe it will get well enough that I can forgo all that pain, all the hassle, and all financial drain that comes with an operation to fix me. Maybe.

Not only can a shave my neck a little better, but I roofed an outbuilding Friday. It needed doing and I wanted it done before Saturday's rains started. I purchased the supplies and drove to the rear of 333 West Monroe. I picked up a roll of felt and tossed it with both hands over the fence. Then time stopped, the earth momentarily ceased spinning, and even the birds ceased singing. I marveled at what I had just done. I tossed a roll of tar paper over the fence with both arms in play and there was no pain. 

Wow!!!

I spent the next five hours roofing, and figured I would suffer the next day. But I didn't. Definitely I have reached a new state of recovery. Monday, I started on the bench press. I did 

10 X 45
12 X 45
10 X 45

I know. Muscularly that is nothing. At this point it is more of a range of motion thing. Yes, I felt some tightness at the bottom and a touch of pain. It's those biceps tendons that have improved but after several shots, professional rehab, and eight months of healing time, they still give me trouble. Will they ever heal?

I also did some inner and outer rotations for the rotator cuff, some front raises with 1.25 pounds (yes, you read that right), and a few squats. In addition, I walked 1.03 miles. It ain't much but it is a start. 

Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment