Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Idelieiesm and Hope

He wrote, "I'm not an idelieiest."

Well color me enlightened. 

I wrote back, "I'm not an idelieiest either. I'm a Baptist."

Boy, Facebook is taking my vocabulary to a whole new level. Or is it God? I never could figure what that "new level" is that Joel Olsteen and some other preachers are always so sure God is about to take us to. Maybe this is it. Everyday I read words I never heard, I can't spell, and I have no idea what they mean. Meet my latest acquisition: idelieiest/idelieiesm. Isn't that a dandy? Boy howdy, am I at a new level yet?

One of my college profs once called me a language snob. That was one of the nicest things he or anyone else has ever said to me. I am now much older, but almost 62 years of life has not qualified me to be a snob in any other endeavor, so I cling to my snobbishness. Or is it my idelieiesm?

But I am assuming about one of these forms, and you know what they say about that? I am assuming idelieiesm is a real word related to idelieiest. Besides my assumption, however, what I can't figure out is why people don't get that something is wrong when their computer or iphone underlines in red the word they can't spell and really don't know if they are using right. 

But what I really want to talk about today is not idelieiesm but hope. Day two of comeback 71 is in the books and hope lives. Yes, hope is still alive, on life support but alive.

I did some more bench pressing. Or maybe I should say bar moving. I also added some dumbbell bench presses which allowed an even greater range of motion. After the dumbbells, I was able to lower the straight bar all the way to my chest. I got it to my chest Monday, but to do that I had to lower it much farther down towards my stomach to get it to touch. Yes, there was still some tightness and mild pain, but I was pushing the bar up and down in its normal bench press range. I will do some more today and hope that the feeling is in the shoulder improves.

Hope lives in another way. Monday, I remembered something I had been exposed to somehow, somewhere in the indefinite past. The Navy Seals do something called the combat side stroke. This method of swimming, from what I can tell, is fairly efficient and doesn't require the arms to exit the water. That is what I can't do right now. I can't lift my right arm for the recovery stroke. 

Cha ching!

Now I am thinking that maybe I can learn the combat side stroke and even do a little (and I do mean a little) swimming at Chicot this year. I still don't know the exact form the swim will take, but we are going to do something, Lord willing, on June 2. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment