Monday, May 7, 2018

4/30 - 5/6

A couple of weeks ago I started getting out of the house and walking. I did not hear from Brian Waldrop any for the last two weeks, so I assumed he was out of town. He has a big-time job and a big-time job means you have to work. I suppose I am finally starting really to get out of the pit because I continued to stay active those weeks and even picked up the distance and intensity.

I still am searching for answers, for motivation to get my shoulder fixed. Part of me wants to say, "God fix it, or I don't swim." I do believe in divine healing. Another part of me wonders if it is my faith, my patience, or my common sense that are being tested. My replacement swimmer, Wilson Carroll, has recently been beset with some health issues. I am at a crossroads; the Chicot Challenge is at a crossroads. What to do? I contacted a couple of swimmer friends. One said no and one said nothing. I contacted my old Masters coach at DSU, the Mad Swimming Scientist. He advised me to contact Dan'l the head swim coach for DSU. Dan'l said he would ask around.

Back to the maybes. Maybe it is all three, my faith, patience, and sense that are being tested and if so, I am pretty sure I am failing on all three fronts. I did have another thought the other day, one that only adds to my confusion. I did six Chicot Challenges. This is the seventh year. Maybe God is mandating a Sabbath year. Maybe my body needs it, and God knew this is the only way I would ever take it. 

All that to the side, Monday I walked 2.08 miles and did a little work at Plate City. Tuesday I walked 2.56 and the pace was a bit faster. I can feel my legs starting to change a little. They are going from pitifully out of shape to just pitiful.

Wednesday it was 2.72 and faster still. Thursday, however, I took off. I don't remember why, weather maybe or maybe I just got tied up doing stuff. But Friday and Saturday were good days. Friday I walked 2.89 and Saturday I walked 3.2. Each day my pace quickened and my fitness, in some tiny way, has improved.

For the week, I walked 13.58 miles and did some work in the yard and at Plate City. I am not paralyzed anymore, but I still lack the gumption to get on my bike alone and really ride. But I think I am getting there. At least I'm headed in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment