Thursday, November 4, 2021

Three for Three

I made it three for three Wednesday going three workouts per day for three days in a row. If memory servers me correctly, that is the first time I have pulled that off this semester. This school term has been unusually time consuming.

I started with a run. BK was out with a conference or something. So Mary Peyton and I were supposed to race, but she backed out. That left me alone with the rain. I went out and parked on Wade Road so I could do an interval workout on Money Road without the hassle of side streets and crossing traffic. It was a tough one that I hope will pay off Saturday when Penny, Forrest, and I go to Vardeman for the Sweet Potato Festival, and I race the 5K.

At the pool, I swam

  2,100
  brick kick
  50 easy
  25/25 breast/free
  50 back
  total: 2,250 yards = 2,056 meters.

Since I am racing Saturday, I did not want to put in a heavy leg workout, but I did want to hit the gym. So I did low volume deadlifting with some yoke work. By yoke work, I mean trapezius muscles. I did two reps of standard deadlifts at 135 pounds and then went to the trap bar deadlift with shrugs at the top. I pulled 

  1 X 170
  1 X 190
  1 X 210
  1 X 220
  1 X 225

I feel like this is valuable work, holding that kind of weight. One thing weight training does is strengthen the bones. The heavier I go, the stronger my legs bones should be. Why is that important? It is important because on day two of the Great Geezer Run I began to develop a stress fracture. I have had several of those. I am training for something really big sixteen or seventeen months in the future. My body will have to be as strong and durable as possible everywhere if I am to have a chance to succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment