Sunday, March 17, 2013

Spring Break Week

It was a week off work but one that was not nearly as productive as I had hoped. I did get to spend some nice relaxing time with family at Natchez State Park, but while there I ate too much food, swam only once, and did pitiful little running due to some soreness in my patella tendons. Considering how much better things are than last year, however, life is definitely good. At this time a year ago, I was running even less (due to injuries) and my mom's illnesses kept me and my sister and my brother-in-law, RT, on the go, spending nights in hospitals, and generally living life stressed to the max. What a difference a year makes.

Monday I took a long walk and circumnavigated the park, racking up six miles on foot. Although I spend much of the day Tuesday getting my mom back to  Greenwood, I nevertheless drove to DSU after I got home where I swam

1,000
20 X 50
8 X 100
200
Total: 3,000 meters.

Since it was Spring Break week and no life-guards were on duty, I had to leave after practice without getting any extra distance done. But the pool is now set up for long course and believe me that is a huge plus for endurance training.

Wednesday was my first day at home. I guess it's a sign that I'm getting old, but I like home, my routine, and my cat, and I almost grieved that the week was half over and I was just getting to spend some time at home. I even missed my wife a little bit. Although I did only a short run/hike Wednesday morning, I did do a monster upper body weight session that left me sore and stiff Thursday when I got in a four mile run and then night went back to DSU and swam

One of the dead birds I saw.
Notice the remains of a large catfish in his mouth.
1,400
8 X 50 @ 1:30 decline 1-4
10 X 100 @ 2:30
800 back kick/swim by 50s with fins
200
Total:3,600 meters.

Friday I did a slow-start day, drinking coffee, hanging out with Luvie, and finishing Young Woman and the Sea which is a book about Gertrude Ederle and her swim across the English Channel. I then drove to the pond and swan 2.67 miles without break making that my longest continuous swim of 2013. The limiting factor thus far has been the water temperature which is running ten degrees colder than this same time last year. After the swim I took a little run of 4.2 miles and saw all manner of waterfowl, both living and dead. It was a good workout that left me hungry for food and hungry for more open water swimming.

Saturday I had breakfast and coffee with an old friend and then stayed pretty close to the house for most of the remainder of the day. I did manage to lift weights, work in the yard some, and do a 3.61 mile shuffle.

For the week I
swam 10,896.03 meters
ran 11.99 and
walked 10.16 miles.

For the year I have
swum 133,153.87 meters and
run 230.62 miles

Although my week was lighter than I had planned, compared to last year I am

+ 26,514.54 meters swimming and
+ 147.35 miles running.

Next week I hope to get into the open water two or three times and start stretching it out a little farther. One thing I did do last week was to work the top of my wrists. Last year on my Chicot Challenge, I had severe hand pain during and swollen tendons on the top of my wrists after the swim. I have never even heard of anyone else having that problem, but it has popped up on several of my longer swims taking all the joy out of an otherwise glorious experience. I think the issue has to do with muscle weaknesses/imbalances on the top side of my forearms compared to the inside of the wrists. If I can conquer this problem, my long swims will go much better. Yehaa.




No comments:

Post a Comment