Sunday, March 31, 2013

Sunday Summary

I was all the way into the town of Cleveland (50-miles from Greenwood) before it ever entered into my mind that DSU just might be closed for Good Friday. It was. OK, I'm a genius. I sat in front of the natatorium for a few minutes and felt like weeping. Then Dan'l Murray walked out. Dan'l coaches the DSU squad as well as the DAC team. I asked about swimming. He said they were closed. He hesitated, and I could tell he had some sympathy for me. Then he told me he had a practice at 2:00 with just a few swimmers and I could swim then. Thank you Jesus. Thank you Dan'l. I swam

2,200
10 X 150 medium paddles @ 3:00
15 X 100 small paddles @ 2:00
4 X 50 swim @ 1:00
I was done at this point and cooled down with an easy 200 for a total of 5,600 meters.

This practice was both encouraging and discouraging. I was as done as burnt toast when I tapped out on the 50s. Not good. However, this is exactly the kind of work I need to jump start my endurance build that has to take place for me to complete the Chicot Challenge. And with that swim, I got my first 20,000 meter week of 2013.

Saturday was the running of the second Viking Half Marathon and 5K. Last year I was only up for the 5K. This year I have been able to run more and although Randy Beets was out of pocket costing me a chance at kicking his hinder parts, my son was in the run and since he beat me for the first time ever in our last head to head, he would be an adequate adversary for the day. I went out at a pace that I knew would be hard to hold, and I managed not to die like I did at the Mississippi River Half only a little more than a month ago. I beat my Greenville time by a over seven minutes and left my son in the dust. Yeehaa. I ain't ready to be a real old man just yet. Although my 2:05:11 was not good enough to place in my age group, it was a satisfying run and one heck of a workout. Good cross training.

After some serious napping with my cat, Luvie, I got up and did some major back yard gym work that afternoon. All in all, it was a very good week of training, and maybe my first ever 20/20. By 20/20 I mean 20 miles running and 20,000 meters swimming. I never did that last year. The only other year I may have ever done that would be 2007 and I have not yet gone back in my records to check. I hope it is just the first of many 20/20 weeks for the upcoming months.

For the week I
ran 21.88  and walked 11.79 miles
swam 20,214.54 meters and
lifted weights one time.

My goal for the first week of April is to repeat at 20/20.

For the year I am at
167,443.73 meters swimming and
267.38 miles running.

Compared to last year I am
+32,509.42 meters swimming and
+175.31 miles running.

The running is going pretty well. After four years (!!!) finally I am over Achilles tendonosis. Four years. Thank God. However, my knee caps are constantly bothering me. Sigh. If it's not one thing, it's two. And don't tell me to ice. My body does not like ice and it always makes everything worse for me. Also I am tired of taking NSAIDs. No more. Just ain't doing it. I like my liver. That leaves message and not running. My current choice is message via a foam roller. This really does help, but has not been a total cure. Something else that could help would be some warn weather. I have noticed over the years that my patellae tendons have been growing increasingly sensitive to cold. If I can get my knee tendons healthy, I can kick butt and take names this summer. I'm tired of getting my butt kicked by fat ladies. This is the year of pay back and you know what they say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment