Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Week One Training for The Great Noxapater Journey Run

I'm a bit late posting my training for last week (the week of July 4), but here it goes. I started the cycle with a 52 minute trainer ride, a 4.13 mile run, a 2.62 mile walk, and a deadlift workout last Monday. In the afternoon, I went to Twin Rivers and swam 1,200 meters, but I couldn't pull hard. This is the fourth time I have hurt this shoulder. Three times I injured it lifting weights and once it was wounded in a ladder accident. I took about a year and a half to get right after the ladder mishap, so naturally I am a bit worried about my swimming. It is the water activity that has helped me stay somewhat sane during the long ordeal with Achilles tendonosis.

Tuesday I ran 6.36 miles and went to DSU. I swam much better, but when I pulled myself out of the pool (the deck is about 12 or 14 inches above the water level), my shoulder hurt terribly. I did another 4.13 miles Wednesday and Thursday, of course, was the Fourth of July. For the first time in months, I was healthy enough to ambulate all the way to the in-laws in Carroll County instead of just getting out of the truck somewhere along the way. I ran and walked a total of 14.45 foot miles with the running portion being 9.93.

Friday I took it easy, mowed my mom's yard, and did another trainer ride while I watched The Sagebrush Trail starring John Wayne. Saturday I ran 6.6 miles on Money Road and did two very light sets of squats.

For the week, I

ran 30.75 miles
spun 106.5 minutes
walked 14.51 miles
swam 4,400 meters and
did some light lower body weight lifting.

This was only my second thirty-mile week of the year, and it puts me ahead of last year's shuffling totals by 352.92 miles. In the swim department, I fell behind last year's pace by 1,135.45 meters. I am really worried about the shoulder. Both the Suck and the Chicot Challenge could be in danger, but at least the running is going well and with the goal of The Great Noxapater Journey Run, I am as excited as I have been in decades. I want to do it now, but I'm not fit enough. I could pull off the first day, but would have dead legs on day two. It takes time, patience, and lots of smart training to pull something like this off, and that is part of the reason it has such a strong appeal to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment