Thursday, July 25, 2013

Jay Unver Interview

Jay Unver is a reporter with the Lehrton Gazette who, for the last two years, has covered my ongoing feud with Randy Beets. Following is his most recent article on the upcoming clashes between me and the tall guy.

"They Are at it Again"
By Jay Unver
A trio of upcoming events pitting Randy Beets against Zane Hodge has at least one of the Mississippi Delta endurance athletes on edge. Hodge, who turned fifty-seven in June, appeared antsy, nervous, unsure of himself in a recent interview I conducted with him at his residence in Greenwood.
“These are big deals,” Hodge said when I asked him about the Fasttrack Fatties Athletic Club and the Association of Sports Swimmers sponsored events the two will face each other in. “The winner between Randy and me will be the Fattie-ASS champion of the world.” 
We were in his backyard and Hodge paced and sipped coffee while we chatted. His mood swung from anxiety to sadness, despondency even, as we talked about the unusual challenges he has faced this athletic year. He recounted last year’s results: Beats came out on top in the Heart O’ Dixie Triathlon and the 300 Oaks 10K in 2012. Hodge won at Swim the Suck (a ten-mile open water swim) and the Dual 10K Championship (a combination of the 300 Oaks and a 10K pool swim on the same day).
“I want to win again in those events I came out on top in last year. And I think I have a good shot at the Oaks. I even had some hopes for the Heart O’ Dixie this time, but Beets had a clue I might win and ducked me by signing up on a relay team instead of facing me mano a mano. What a wuss!”
”He doesn’t yet know about my shoulder,” Hodge added discussing his latest injury, one that has the potential of tipping the balance in Beets' favor. “When he finds out about that, he’ll go crazy training. He’ll have hope. That’s why I’ve tried to keep it a secret.”
Hodge showed me his backyard gym, a collection of home-made exercise machines, free weights and benches. “All of this is to beat Beets’ butt. Really, that’s why it’s here. You wouldn’t believe how hard I work out on this stuff.” He paused then added, “Ironic that this could be my downfall,” he added referring to the shoulder injuring he received lifting weights in his gym.
“It’s really important to you isn’t it, beating Beets?” I asked making reference to his ongoing battle with his nemesis.
“It’s everything. If I lose . . . ,” his voice trailed off and his head bowed. He didn’t speak for several moments and when he did, he softly said, “I’m not really suicidal. But if I were . . . .” He never finished that thought.
The interview was over.

No comments:

Post a Comment