Sunday, July 14, 2013

Week Two Training for TGNJR

Week two was another pretty good cycle, and the unusually cool summer we have had has been to my advantage. It is still warm enough to be hot weather trained, but with highs in the eighties low humidity, I have run a mid day all spring and summer. Monday I did 4.17 easy and went to Twin Rivers later for a leisurely 1,800 meters. For the week, my swimming goal was simply to swim some and not re injure the shoulder. Tuesday I did 6.8 miles running with three .7 miles 10K pace intervals thrown in. At Twin Rivers I swam 2,200 with no shoulder issues. Finally, I feel a little better about it.

Wednesday was another easy 4.18 miles of shuffling and 2,300 meters of swimming, and Thursday was 6.92 miles with some 5K race-pace intervals interspersed within a lot of slow running. At Twin Rivers I had planned to up my swimming to 3 X 1,000, but a storm drove me from the pool after only 900 meters.

Friday I had planned only to do a little trainer ride, but Randy Beets contacted me and wanted to meet at the pond Saturday. It's been awhile since we swam the pond so I didn't want to say no. But neither did I want to miss my long run which I had scheduled. So I did the long run/walk on Friday despite the fact that I had run hard on Thursday. I actually started Friday's jaunt with a walk and very slowly warmed up my legs. As a result, I got stronger and stronger. I covered 15.72 miles on foot, running 8.06 of them. It was encouraging to do back-to-back hard runs because this is what I will have to do in The Great Noxapater Journey Run.

Randy wound up sick so instead of the pond Saturday, I met my old friend Daniel Collins at Burger King for breakfast and coffee. For the rest of the day, I napped a couple of times, watched two movies, did 48 minutes on the bike trainer, and took a short walk.

For the week, I

swam 7,200 meters
ran 30.13 miles
walked 14.66 miles
and did 48 minutes on the trainer.

This was the first time in over four years that I got back-to-back thirty-mile running weeks. I need at least one more before I take a drop back cycle and then I need to string together a bunch more thirties and maybe a few forties. I'm so excited about the journey run that it's about all I think about. Next week I will probably do some longer run-walk stuff. I have an idea for a new and longer route to the in-laws in Carroll County. I want to do it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment