Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Silly Me

Dude, I can't believe how stupid I am. In the last post, I overviewed the other events I have on tap before The Great Noxapater Journey Run. I left one out and gave only partial information on another. This post is an attempt to rectify those mistakes.

Concerning the 300 Oaks, that run serves as the championship race for a small organization Randy Beets and I are members of: The Fasttrack Fatties Athletic Club. This club is comprised of a group of former fat people who control their weight and manage their health through endurance athletics. Not only is the Oaks the Fattie championship 10K, but Randy and I add another event, a 10K pool swim, to it, for the Fasttrack Fattie Dual 10K World Championship. The rules are simple: we add the two times, 10K road race and 10K pool swim, together and the lowest combined time wins. Last year Randy beat me the in road race, but my margin of victory in the pool was enough to secure the overall win for me. Yeehaaa.

I not only forgot the Dual Championship, but I didn't even mention Swim the Suck, a ten-mile marathon down the beautiful Tennessee River near Chattanooga held in early October. STS is an awesome event put on by Karah Nazor, the first woman from Tennessee to swim the English Channel. At the 2012 STS, I got to meet two of my heroes there, Penny Palfry and Martin Strel. For each of the last two years, Randy and I did this event and we're signed up this year also. Although other people are involved, this swim is essentially a match race between Randy and me. Like the Oaks, this one is the Fattie Open Water Championship race. In addition to the Fatties, Randy and I swim for an organization called the Association of Sports Swimmers, and you guessed it, the Suck is that group's championship race for member swimmers. That means that whoever wins between me and Randy is the Fattie-ASS World Champion. Yeehaaa.

One problem though, my shoulder issues have not fully cleared up and although there is still a lot of time between now and October, I have a little nervousness about my ability to rebound enough to be able to once more trounce randy Beets the way he deserves to be trounced.

OK, that's enough for today, I need to get up and start stretching for my run. Tomorrow I will review last week's training, but for now it's time to do some more important things like look at Facebook and drink coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment