Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Fourth of July Run

I didn't leave the house until almost 10:00 o'clock, too late to miss any heat and the day promised a lot of that. Nevertheless, after looking at my training log from last year and seeing that I ran to Hillbilly Heaven on the 4th of July, I determined to do the same this year also.

My Camelbak was loaded with 36 ounces of Gatorade in addition to a few Endurolytes and three packs of Gu that were stashed in my Fuel Belt. I left the house moving at my all day shuffling pace. The temp was already about 85, but the wind was blowing a steady eight mph or better giving me some relief from the combination of heat and a dew point of 74. 

I shuffled through the neighborhood and one mile later was on the Yazoo River Bridge which for me is always a psychological threshold. I crossed the busy intersection at US 82 and Strong Ave and made on to the frontage road beside the highway that would be my path for the next three miles.

After those three plus miles, I ran through the parking lot of McDonald's and dumped onto Humphrey Highway, my path for the next ten miles, and headed south. There is not a lot of shade on that leg of the journey, so every time I got a cloud over, I thanked God for it and pulled my cap off the let the wind hit my wet head. Slowly, my legs idled down from the slow start to a slower shuffle, but I was having fun and I relished the idea of putting some endurance back into my legs. With the Chicot Challenge and its aftermath, my running has taken a hit, but the base is still there. 

I did a little side running on the way out, doing short out-and-backs on adjoining streets, and by the time I reached the base of the big hill I was at 12.46 miles. As usual, the mountain-- and for a Delta boy, this thing qualifies as a mountain-- punished me as my pace for the Big Hill Mile, as I call it, was a shockingly slow 15:28. And then when I reached the top I ran out of Gatorade. 

I stopped at Acy's, which was closed, but I hoped to get water from their outdoor hydrant. Turning the knob yielded no liquid. So I looked at several houses as I continued up the road, finally stopping at one house and ringing the door bell. I received an answer and made my request and was given permission to use the hydrant at the back of the house. I took the leisure not only to fill my pack but to wet my head also. Then it was back to the road.

Less than a quarter mile later I was on the gravel road, the one that led to HBH. I shuffled almost all the way, slowing to a walk after 16.13 miles. That, along with the 41-mile bike ride I did last week, should shoot my legs into another level of fitness. Once at the house, I drank a protein shake, took a shower, and then ate a lunch that included ribs, ribs, and more ribs. Naps followed. Several naps and some snacking on ribs, ribs, and more ribs. What better way to celebrate the 4th?

No comments:

Post a Comment