Thursday, July 28, 2016

Swimming is Picking Up

Boy Howdy did I rack up at the pool yesterday! The stars were aligned just right, and I had the biggest day of my swimming career.

One thing that helped out was the early rain. That kept the women's water aerobics out of the pool so that when John and I got in, we had it to ourselves. I don't know if the ladies pick up any coins or not, but I never find any in the areas they use after they leave. I found a quarter on the first lap I swam in my usual lane, and since no one else was in the pool or milling around on deck, I decided to swim every lane. 

I do a lot of every-lane swimming early in the spring when the pool is first pumped up. But later it gets busy and when people get in after you, it's best to have a lane anchored down to protect your turf, uh water. So lately I have not felt free to roam over the pool looking for money. Wednesday, however, I did. On my first extra lane swim, I found a penny. That put me at 26 cents. Not bad. I swam the rest of the pool and picked up a dime. Now I was at 36 cents.

I didn't expect to find anymore money, but later, while I was doing a set of 150s and had stopped on the south wall, I spotted what looked like a quarter in a lane I had already swum. Since my rest interval was almost up, I decided to get the quarter the next time I stopped on that wall. Scooting over to that lane, I began my next 150 and BINGO! I saw another quarter. I had to finish that 150, which put me ending on the north wall, and then swim another one before I could pick up all that money. With two more quarters, I was at 86 cents, a record haul. But things didn't end there.
My haul from Twin Rivers. Sometimes
it pays to swim


After I finished my 150s, John climbed out to go to the bathroom. When he did, I beat down to the deep end where he swims and went back and forth over it looking for money. I spotted a dime on the bottom. Now I know one reason I swim pretty well. I am a bit buoyant. It was very difficult for me to get twelve feet down to retrieve the coin and my ears popped when I did. But I got it and swam back to my lane and put that dime with the other coins I found. Ninety-six cents, an all-time record. That is almost another dollar for the Diabetes Foundation of Mississippi. I save all my coins each year and hand them over to the DFM representative who shows up at Chicot Challenge. Maybe I can break this record a few times before next June. 

No comments:

Post a Comment