Tuesday, July 12, 2016

The Week of July 4th

I began the week, Monday the 4th, with a run to Hillbilly Heaven. Since I already wrote about that, all I will say now is that I shuffled 16.13 and walked .57 miles. Then I took three naps. Nice day. Tuesday I shuffled another 4.13 miles in addition to lifting weights, walking. spinning on the bike trainer, and swimming 1,200 meters.

Wednesday, Penny and I went to Jackson after I lifted weights and did a short run of 2.08 miles. I was hoping to purchase a head harness from Play-It-Again Sports, but they didn't have one. They did have one my last two trips there, and I thought I would buy it one day. After my neck issues, I decided I need to work my neck muscles, hence the harness. But it was not to be. I did add a forty pound kettlebell to the gym and a few plates. Thursday, it was more weights, more walking, another session on the bike trainer (27 minutes) and a 4.06 miles run. 

Friday brought 3,300 in the pool before Penny and I drove to Sardis to spend some time together and do some scouting for a possible swim there. I liked what I saw. I picked up a map from the Visitors' Center and talked to one of the employees there. He downplayed the whole idea of alligators and sat down with me and did some measuring on Google Maps. Like all of these flood control lakes in north Mississippi, they get shallow and swampy if you go upstream far enough. But there is plenty of deep water in Sardis to do some really long swims. 

One of the things that makes the lake so appealing to me is the area around the dam. I would not feel uncomfortable swimming a mile or more north of the dam and down in the dark. I may be naive, but it looks to me like there would be few if any alligators in that part of the reservoir. Plus the lake is at least 1.7 miles wide, so there is a real potential of swimming more than five miles after dark. At Chicot, we have almost maxed out for what we can do in a single day without going into the dark, which I am hesitant to do.

Saturday, I did more weights and more running, shuffling 4.64 miles, and for the week, I

ran 31.04 and walked 3.62 miles,
lifted weights 4 X,
spun 52:00 minutes on the bike trainer, and 
swam 4,500 meters.

What is wrong with this picture? You guessed it: not much swimming. There are a lot of reasons for that, but I hope to get more water time soon, real soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment