Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Need a Swimmer?

John has been out most of this summer. His wife has been sick and of late he has had some back issues that have kept him confined to the ungreat indoors. One result of this is I did most of my Chicot training alone. Towards the end of the Chicot buildup, this began to wear on me a bit. Another result of John's absence has been that my swim mileage fell drastically after Chicot Challenge V. It always does, by design, but this year has been different. The rebuild after the recovery has been absent. Until this week.

Finally, John is back, and he wants to stay in the pool for hours and hours. I don't blame him, but my endurance has taken a trip south. Monday, I met him at the pool and swam 4,500. Tuesday, I swam 5,700 with some quality sets. That had me pretty much bonked out and is the biggest swim since my charity effort. Wednesday, I got into the pool with the idea of busting out a big one, but I quickly discovered I did not have a big one in me. I managed a slow 4,200 meters. I was tired, I was sluggish, I was lazy. 

These three days alone has put me over any week since the Challenge. Maybe tomorrow I can bounce back a bit. John wants to go for 2:45 or more. After 10:00, we have the pool to ourselves until 1:00. John wants to fill every minute. Oh my.

I'm not complaining because I really do need someone to push me right now. John is doing that. Finally. Although I am not training for anything specific, I have some large dreams on the horizon and the bigger the training base the higher the peak one can build. I'll write about my dreams in another post. For now, I want to simply say this: if you need a swimmer for a triathlon team, a friendly wager, or a fundraiser, give me a holler. Have goggles, will travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment