Monday, October 31, 2016

Haiku 12 (A New Sub-genre)

To my knowledge, which is admittedly very limited on the subject, I just created a new sub-genre of haikus. Traditionally, haikus are about nature, particularly seasons and usually contain a season word that subtly reveals the time of year. They also contain a shift at the third verse, some sort of surprise or reveal. My early efforts with the Marcus haikus contain none of that. My later haikus, however, do. 

My new haiku is about metaphorical seasons, seasons of life. The lines begin

Child
Boy
Man

Think of the possibilities and challenges of summarizing your life, or someone else's, in seventeen syllables. Here is one of my new genre haikus.

Child plays long at war.
Boy hopes, votes for wars to end--
Man preaches God's peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment