Sunday, October 16, 2016

HIIW

Right at this very moment, my English Composition I class is beginning their first HIIW session. In case you are not familiar, HIIW is an acronym for High Intensity Interval Writing. I said, in case you are not familiar, but I know you are not because to my knowledge I am the only teacher in the United States of America who does this. In short, I apply the principles of physical training to writing. As I do out on the road improving my running, I have my students do in class with pen and paper.

I think it works. 

I know it works with running and swimming because I have used the method with both sports to my benefit.

I think it works with writing also.

Today's session goes like this:

6:00 warm up
1:00 @zone 4
1:00 @zone 2
1:00 @zone 4
1:00 @zone 2
1:00 @zone 4
3:30 cool down

For the students who take the assignment seriously, they always finish with a funny look in their eyes. Once a student said, "I feel high." 

Good job.

The fact is, I am not afraid to try new things whether they work or not. If you keep experimenting, you will come up with something that works even if it is a total accident.

I know all the students don't do it as instructed. It is sort of like doing what the swim coach asks of you. Those 30 X 50 @ 85% don't sound too hard, but if you swim them all at 85%, you finish totally knackered for the day and faster for the next practice. The same holds for interval writing. The ones who do, reap a great training effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment