Tuesday, November 1, 2022

October the Last

The last day of October was a good one for training. First, I went to the pool before work. You know I have been increasing my swim by baby steps. Monday morning I swam 500 yards mostly by 75s. Yeah, I can tell that I have lost fitness. I could feel my muscles after flipping and swimming the extra 25 yards. Wow.

After a long day at work, I went out for a different kind of work, some roadwork. I shuffled around for 4.41 miles. Hey, that's not a bad start. Remember, I am racing Saturday. Well, I am rethinking that. I'm not rethinking that I'll do the race, just rethinking racing it. Since I am training for a marathon and a 50-miler, I need bigger mileage every week than I am getting. I really do not need a taper thrown into this week. Plus, the race in Vardeman is not longer awarding prizes other than overall male and female. So a slow run there does not leave an age-group win on the table.

I did legs Monday. Usually I do them Wednesday. As has been my custom of late, I maxed the squat yesterday. My thinking is that this allows me to freshen some and still hit the legs hard for strength. Maybe that is not as important now if I am not going to taper. But I hit a PR on the squat. Yehaa!. I hit a PR on the trapbar deadlift Saturday. It's official: I am stronger than I have ever been in my life. At 65-years-of-age, I am stronger than I was in high school, stronger than I was as a young adult, stronger than I was as a middle-aged man. Yeah, you can do that. It's called training.

So, three workouts and a PR to start a race week. Not a bad way to kick off. Thank you, Jesus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment