Tuesday, September 10, 2013

A Bang and a Whimper

Monday, my week started with a bang and a whimper. Instead of running in the afternoon and swimming after my night class, I decided to reverse that order because the Suck is drawing closer and I need a really big swim week. The fact that the Oaks, a 10K run, is also drawing near was another factor in my decision to place the swim over the run in my priorities. I cut my run mileage last week by nine miles. I plan to cut another three to five miles this week. If nothing else, I'm going into the the footrace tapered.

I ran some errands and then made it into the water about 2:30. I had it all to myself  for a while and swam

2,300
12 X 100 @ 2:00
600
4 X 50 @ 1:00
6 X 150 pull with medium paddles @ 3:00
100 easy
Total: 5,300 meters.

It was a nice swim and once more I was amazed at how well I swim after lifting weights the day before. Sunday I absolutely destroyed my upper body. My muscles were stiff and sore as I started my practice, but I felt great; I always do.  It doesn't work that way with running. If I do a bunch of squats one day and try to run the next, I am weak, barely able to shuffle, and my quads scream in protest. I don't get it.

I had been in contact with Brian Waldrop during the day and we had planned to run after my night class. While in class, I received a text from him cancelling our run, so after work instead of driving to his house, I went home where food was present on the stove. I should have pulled my work clothes off (my running attire was underneath) and headed out the door. But all my vim and vigour disappeared in the aroma of Sloppy Joes. I was seduced by French Fries and ground beef, defeated my human weakness. I ate supper, something I almost never do. What a way to wimp out at the end of such a good start. To make matters worse, our air unit wasn't cooling the house, and my wife and I had a fitfull night of sleeplessness as we miserably tossed in the Mississippi heat. Just what the doctor ordered for recovery.

Oh well, it's another day now, and I have another chance to try to get it right. The only problem is I have to wait for the air man to come look at our unit. My experience has been if you are waiting on someone, that is all you are doing. Maybe today will be different.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment