Thursday, September 26, 2013

Plans


I have big plans for the weekend. Big plans to do nothing. My wife is going out of town for a few days, so I’ve been thinking, “What can I do that I normally can’t?” My answers have been disappointing. A few things I’ve considered are:

1)   Spending the night at the cabin in Carroll County and run the gravel roads until I can’t take it anymore. The hold backs on that are: I need to mow the lawn, prepare for church, take care of the animals, and swim.

2)   Going to the newly opened Tanglefoot Trail for a long run or ride. My wife and I have been waiting for months for this rails-to-trails project, which runs from Houston, Mississippi to New Albany, Mississippi, to become a reality. The temptation to drive over and spend a day there is pretty strong. However, it doesn’t seem right to make my first excursion there without Mary Hodge, seeing how she has waited as eagerly as me for its opening.

3)   Taking the pontoon out for its maiden voyage. This one, however, is dependent on getting the boat finished. I have a new prop ordered and a few more things need to be done to her. But like above, it would seem somehow inappropriate without my wife aboard on the initial outing.

4)   Doing a two-day journey run. The problem with this is I have those animals to care for. Also, I am so broke I can’t pay attention, and I know from experience that it is more expensive to power the human body than to power a four thousand pound automobile. Really, I’ve done the math.

What I most likely will do is mow the lawn, take a long run out Money Road, swim a long time at Twin Rivers, watch a lot of college football, and hang out with the dog and cat. That’s not too bad, but I still yearn for something different, something exotic. Maybe I’ll come up with an idea, but right now I am fresh out.

Hey, I just thought of something: a one day journey/adventure run. There is a route I’ve wanted to ambulate for a long time now. It starts at my front door, goes out Grenada Blvd to Highway 7, north on number 7 and following the old highway to what is sometimes called Whaley, across the bridge and many miles down Whaley Road to Money, MS, and then south to the house. With my wife gone, I can spend all of Friday rambling, and I won’t have to worry about time. I can take all day, enjoy the trip, and be so tired when I get back that I go straight to bed without speaking to anyone. Taking a bath first, of course.

Hot dog, it’s a plan! Now I need to purchase some calories, get my packs loaded, and try to sleep. I will be like a child tonight, eagerly awaiting Santa’s coming in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment