Sunday, April 6, 2014

Worrying about Randy, but Training Hard

Randy Beets' Disciplinary Hearing is coming up next week, and it's been on my mind a lot. I'm afraid he will be suspended and fined, and his mother is going to blame me. What to do?

Anyway, it was a pretty good training week. With the Twin Rivers Pool up, I have had reasonably good access to water. I had to put in a lot of useless time at school working registration so that cut into training a bit. I have to do the same next week even though it is a proven fact that our students don't sign up until the week before and the week of school. Monday I had just enough time to get in the pool and swim a straight 3,500 then get out and go to work. I stay with Mom on Monday nights so after work I went to her house and then took a little 2.06 mile run. I hate leaving her alone, and I hate running that late, but when you work all day AND night, you either get fat or do crazy stuff like that. Registration is not fair to people who teach night classes. We wound up working WAY more hours. Maybe I need to do like all the other full-time teachers and refuse to teach at night.

Tuesday, I decided not to go to DSU but to stay in town and swim at Twin Rivers and try for 10,000. I took my wetsuit to the pool and started swimming skins. The water was 68 and felt OK except when I did flip turns and then the colder water farther under the surface hurt. I did the first 2,800 without my suit, but I started getting cool and knew I would never make 10,000 without some warmth so I put the suit on and finished my first 10K of the year.

Wednesday, I was back at Twin Rivers. The water was 69 and oh what a difference a degree makes. Not only was it warmer, but it was way less stratified and didn't feel bad when I did my flips. In fact, I could be happy if the water stayed 69 year round. Again, I was pressed for time and just did a straight 3,700 meters. I took my running clothes to school and after my film class, I changed clothes and left the campus running. I did 4.05 miles before going home to crash.

Thursday, I decided to go to DSU because I thought I needed the sprint work Cagri, the Mad Swimming Scientist, always makes us do. After I warmed up with 1,200 and 600, we did

8 X 50 @ 1:30 as 25 fast/25 easy
4 X 150 r :20 with a floating 50
4 X 100 @ 3:00 with a floating 25
8 X 50 @ 1:30 as 25 fast/25 easy.

I cooled down doing 600 with medium paddles for a total of 4,200 meters.

Since it rained big Thursday night, Friday I couldn't go to my beloved D 6 so instead I went to B 12, the pond Randy Beets never knew. The water was 70, and it made me want to scream for joy. I remember when I thought that was cold, and even though I didn't do as much cold water swimming this year as last year, it seems what I did do had an effect. I was hoping to swim at least nine laps, but I had a mild twinge in my right pectoral muscle so I tapped out after just four circles. I didn't feel too bad about that because I already had a 10K under my belt and a pretty good total for the week. Not being able to swim, I ran for 4.22 miles. All in all it was a pretty good workout.

Saturday was a bit cool, so I went for a run and for the first time since December 17th, I felt like a runner. The pace was still way slow, but it was a little quicker, my breathing a little more controlled, and I felt a lot better.That afternoon I lifted weights and did some gentle walking.

For the week, I

swam 25,248.97 meters.
ran 16.36 miles,
lifted weights one time, and
walked 3.52 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment