Thursday, April 2, 2015

Chicot Training

A light wind gently ruffled the water's surface on the north side of my latest pond when I drove up on Tackett Fish Farms Monday afternoon. The sun was high in the sky and so were my spirits. Since I have an evening class on the first day of the working week, I needed to get there early to have time for the approximately two and a half hours of swimming I hoped to achieve. I did. Eating lunch at work gave me a head start, and leaving town as soon as I could gather my equipment brought me to waters edge at about 1:00 pm. Perfect. 

Monday's watch and tape
After taping up and donning wet suit, I waded in and started swimming. The water felt good, just cool enough to be refreshing. Typical of this time of year, the temperatures varied from end to end, side to side, and sometimes from foot to foot. The suit gave me just enough warmth that allowed me to stay comfortable and in the water as long as I wanted despite the cold spots. I did six laps without stopping which gave me 4.82 miles in 2:21:58 at a 29:25 per mile pace. That is a little quicker than I usually swim, suit aided no doubt. I even had time to take a 2.06 mile shuffle after getting out, so it was a pretty productive afternoon.

Tuesday I went back with the idea of cutting the swim distance a little while adding some to the run. My legs were still pretty washed out from the Viking Half Saturday, but boy was it worth it. I had a blast as did my son, daughter, her friend, Amanda, and my wife who volunteered. I first waded out to my thermometer skins only, but it didn't feel good and I thought, "I'm not training for a cold water swim." So I went back to the truck and suited up again. This time I swan 2.49 miles and shuffled 2.56.

Wednesday, John and I were planning on lifting weights at Plate City Gym, but he cancelled so I beat a path to the pond. The weather was still nice and the water one degree cooler than the day before. The wind was blowing pretty hard across the width of the pond which usually caused the temps to drop. I suited up, swam 2.37, and ran 2.64 plus some walking.

Before leaving town, I took car of a few errands. First, I went by H & H Printing to pick up some receipts and order forms he fixed up for me gratis. I didn't ask anything from him, but Mr. Hill gave me the products, I assume because it is for a charity fundraiser. Thank you very much, sir. Then I left H & H and went by Barry Brewer's to check on the T-shirts. He was just starting the front and that afternoon we finalized some items on the back. Thus far, the Greenwood Legal Professionals is the only sponsor who has written a check, not payable to me, mind you, but to Barry Brewer. I can cover the first run of shirts, but I need another sponsor. I have a few in the bush, but none in the hand.

With the training ramping up, the T-shirt finalized and being printed, and a speaking engagement on the calendar, I am beginning to get a little excited. One thing that has me down, however, is the crew. Right now, it looks like there are going to be substantive changes in this year's support staff. I'll just have to deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment