Monday, April 6, 2015

First 20/20 Week of 2015

For several years a 20/20 week has been my benchmark, what I considered the gateway to real fitness, or at least the kind of fitness I like and use. By 20/20 I mean 20 miles of running and 20,000 meters of swimming. To get them both in one week is a pretty nice training block for me. Last week I did it for the first, but I hope not the last, time of 2015. Actually I did a 23/23.

Besides total numbers, it was a nice time in several ways. First, spring is finally here and that always makes me happy. Not only that, but the new pond has proved to be a real bonus. It has everything I like: it is big (measuring .79 per lap), has good water, and is surrounded by lots of levee roads. Furthermore, it has a little spot for me to park when the levees are wet, which is a real plus. At my last pond, I was in a pinch when it had rained. Usually, there is a graveled center road between two rows of ponds. The sides and levees are left dirt. As a recreational visitor, I dare not block a road so I can swim, interfering with people trying to make a living. At the new pond, there is plenty of room for me to get out of the way after a rain.

Besides all of that, I did some work on Plate City Gym, making some much needed improvements. I fixed the leg press where I can get a greater range of motion, and I got all the dumb bells in one place which will help prevent John and me from tripping on them when we workout.

Another plus of the week was that I finally recovered from the Viking Half. It was not until Saturday before my legs felt like they had anything to give to the road. Speaking of Saturday, I ran 8.1 miles with some multi-pacing and then did some serious weight work at Plate City.

The highlight of the week, however, was my Sunday run with my daughter, Andrea. I don't normally exercise on Sunday, but we were going to Carroll County and she asked to make one. So we got out at the gravel road in the delta and shuffled in a relaxed fashion up the hill and to the house. We saw some pretty scenery, ran with the dog (I'll say more about him in a later post), and took a few photographs. At Memaw's we got to hang out with the grand kids and take naps. All in all it was a nice day.
My daughter taking a picture of me.
"Hey, I'm over here."


On the bad side, the pool at Twin Rivers is not up yet, but the director-- I saw her when I drove by the other day to check on its status-- told me that it is coming up in the next few days. Yehaa. That will increase my access to water tremendously. Also, this is Hell Week at work. Likely my numbers will plummet because I have a meeting in Moorhead, have to work registration everyday, and we have to work Friday. All of this will make training very difficult, but all I can do is all I can do.

For the week, I

ran 23.75 miles,
lifted weights two times,
walked 8.81 miles, and 
swam 23,779 meters.

When I can beat this week for three in a row, I think I will be ready for the Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment