Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Pow

Yesterday was "bang." Today was "pow." I went to Twin Rivers and came within a dog's hair of backing out. It is very cool here and when I stepped out of my truck, I climbed back in. Then I remembered the article the Commonwealth ran on me Sunday. I have to train.

So I got into the pool and took a reading after my warm up. The water was 72 yesterday; it was 70 today. That might not sound like much if you are not a swimmer, or maybe if you are. But believe you me, two degrees makes a big difference. Add to that the cool air and lack of sun and it all drove my spirits down. 

But once swimming, I felt good and for the first time in a couple of months or more I felt like pushing it a little and had the confidence to do so. Mentally I am still a bit fragile. The left shoulder, however, that had me worried has not been an issue for several weeks. I feel pretty good about it. I still have a little phobia about the right pectoral although it is fine. I just have not totally lost all me fear of re-injury. I swam

1,200 23:39
10 X 50 @ 1:15
400 countdown 7:24
500 countdown 9:22
600 as every third 50 hard 11:17
100 easy
total: 3,300

The 600 gave me a really good feeling. It included enough easy swimming to work that all-day metabolism that I will be using for Chicot, but the hard 50s are long enough to work the heart rate and frequent enough to build a higher end endurance. This is a set I most likely will be doing a lot of between now and June 6. I only did one rep this time around, but that will change.

After taking nutrition, I headed out for a run. I did 8.75 miles in a multi-paced fashion. In total I ran 2.11 @ sub 8:00 pace and .5 @ 9:44. I have a good week started. I need to finish strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment