Friday, July 10, 2015

Ride on the Rez

Through the wonderful agency of Facebook, I contacted Larry Green, my link to Captain Coco, to see if we could secure a ride on the Lera Bea, a spotless pontoon boat named after Larry's mother. The stars were aligned and a day and time were set for Larry and me and the famous captain to make a roundabout on Ross Barnett Reservoir, otherwise known as "the Rez," to scout the possibilities of an open water swim there.


Captain Coco, a lady and a gentlewoman.




We three met Thursday, July 8th, a little before 1:00 pm, at E Pier of Harbor Marina. The sky was clear, the water flat, and my excitement hardly containable as we shook hands and boarded the ship of the able and knowledgeable sea dog.  

After launching, we motored out of the surprisingly large marina, into the main lake, and headed slowly for the west bank. In the marina, I remember thinking, I could swim a couple of miles inside here alone and be protected from boat traffic and high winds.  

On the big lake, we passed the Cock of the Walk, Madison Landing, and Old Trace Park. I was familiar with that small part of the lake, but soon we were seeing things I didn't know existed. Large homes bordered the water. Decks and boat docks adorned the homes and the manicured yards announced these as people who left more money in their couch cushions than my bank account had ever seen.

First Mate Larry Green and me on the Lera Bea

Slowly we made our way to Brown's Landing a distance of ten miles from Madison Landing. Several years ago I had driven over one day and scouted from the landings, Google Maps, and the roads contemplating a swim in this lake. If I remember correctly, I was looking for a one way swim from landing to landing of a little more than my recently completed 13.94 miles of the Chicot Challenge I. The distance was not long enough for a one way swim, but too long (at the time) for a two way trip to suit me at that time. This time, however, I had an accurate measurement from the water and my desire was for a twenty or more mile swim. Bingo. Madison Landing to Brown Landing and back would me a bit over twenty miles. But the day and the boat trip were far from over.


First Mate Larry at the controls
Captain Coco had graciously allowed Larry to take the helm and pilot the boat even though when we got to Brown's Landing, we were in need of real navigational skills. Stumps and shallow water characterize this part of the lake and the channel from the landing to the river channel is confusingly marked. We made it, however, to the well-marked Pearl River channel and began an enjoyable cruise back south.

Eventually we made it to Fanning Landing, a name I knew from Larry's Facebook posts but I had never seen and had no clue where it was. Now I knew and now fresh thoughts were going off in my mind like popcorn kernels bursting in a microwave.  

First Mate Larry piloted us near the bank and past home after home that he himself said, "Makes you wonder if you're in Mississippi doesn't it?" I'll say. To me it looked like some gated community in Florida. 
The gateway into Pelahatchie Bay


We went under a bridge and into Pelahatchie Bay. Once more fireworks were going off inside my brain. I could swim for miles in here. A long causeway separates the bay from the main lake and gives a measure of protection from wind. 

Leaving the bay, we motored along the dam, a full 3.1 miles before we re-entered Harbor Marina. Inside the marina, we did a relaxing lap behind "the Breakers" as I learned they are called, a string of huge condos on the strip of land that separates the main lake from the marina. We then docked, did the boatman duties, and left the vessel. It was as nice time. I learned a lot about the lake and meeting the venerable Captain Coco was the highlight of my month. Seeing Larry again, for the first time in years, was not bad either.

What now? A lot of thinking. The possibilities are endless. I'll keep you informed as to where my mind lands. Thanks Captain Coco and First Mate Larry Green. It was a pleasure and honor to ride with you aboard the Lera Bea.

No comments:

Post a Comment