Monday, July 6, 2015

Luvie's Report with a few Words

It was a different training week as I made myself do some things I really didn't want to. That's what good training is, I suppose, making yourself do the undesirable that you know is good for you. And that is a pretty accurate definition of discipline. I don't have a lot of that, discipline, so usually I do stuff I want to do like swim and run at an easy pace and lift weights for upper body while neglecting things like interval training, long bike rides, lower body weight lifting, and bricks, those off the bike runs that feel so bad but are necessary for good triathlon performance.

I did bricks last week. 

I squatted three times.

I rode long.

I am sore.

I am very sore.

The week went like this:

Monday I drank extra coffee and updated this blog before heading out for my longest bike ride of the year to date. I did 40.12 miles and then shuffled 2.67 off the bike before cooling down with a .27 mile walk. Later I went to Twin Rivers alone and swan 2,300 meters.

Tuesday I did a transition workout at the Plate City Training Center which consisted of some upper body weightlifting, followed immediately by a set of squats, then to the bike trainer and then to the treadmill. I went two times through but not for big numbers. I totaled 21 minutes on the trainer and 1.1 miles on the treadmill. That was in the morning. After lunch, I did another 1.7 miles of running on the road for a total of 2.7 miles shuffling before I added some upper body weightlifting. Once more I went to the pool without my buddy, John, and swam 3,200 as 

1,500
5 X 300 @ 6:30
200 easy.

Under the influence of some videos I watched on YouTube, I did something Wednesday that I had never done before. I squatted for the second day in a row. Not only did I squat, but I got on the bike and rode a long way, longer than Monday's outing by a little. I could tell very early, however, that the squats and Monday's ride had put a hit on my legs. The plan was to go over the three hour threshold which puts one into that fat burning mode that is so important for crazy endurance. In the pool, I do it with long straight swims that contain no feeds. On the bike, three hours is the threshold. On the feet, two hours is the magic mark. Exceed those without feeds and the body responds by drastically improving its ability to burn fat as fuel.

The ride was slow and the 41.8 bike miles left me ill prepared for the 2.7 mile shuffle that followed. It was a case of total bonkitude, which feels terrible to the mind and body but yields almost magical fitness results. Despite the power of these workouts, I can't endure a bonk session very often. Not on the feet, but I love them in the water. If only one in ten of my runs felt like that, I would stop running forever. 

By Thursday my legs were protesting the two bricks, the two squat session, and the bonk, so I did another round of squats. Isn't that brilliant? I watch too much YouTube. The guys who squat everyday are bodybuilders, but they put a seed in my mind and it has begun to grow. This time, however, I followed the leg work with a short, easy trainer spin and then a short, easy shuffle of 2.17 miles on the road. After nutrition and rest, I hit the pool for

1,600
8 X 50 @ 1:15
10 X 100 @ 2:00
400 easy
total- 3,400 meters.

This, the 100s, was the first quality swimming I have done since long before Chicot, and my body has lost its fitness for that. It will come back, though.

Friday I did something I rarely do anymore. I got up early and made my way to Seldom Seen to join Wilson Carroll for an early morning swim in his lovely lake. Wilson was gracious enough to invite me for the swim so I was grateful enough to get out of bed early. We did two laps in the surprisingly cool water. A couple of cloudy days and some rain has the water feeling like fall. Later at home, I did some work on the Plate City Training Center, lifted weights, and tipped around the block for a weeny 1.62 miles.

With Saturday being the 4th, we were naturally scheduled to go the Hill Billy Heaven. For the first time since last winter, I ran all the way. The weather was perfect. With an overcast sky and a light falling rain, I never got hot, my fluids never gave out, and I never got tired of the rain. My total for the day was a slow 15.77 miles of shuffling and I walked a total of 1.47 miles between naps and feedings. The day was nice as the cool weather was delightful and everyone seemed relaxed and happy.

For the week, I

ran 27.63 miles,
lifted weights five times,
walked 3.33 miles,
swam 12,900 meters, and 
rode 81.92 miles on the bike and cycled 33:30 minutes on the trainer.

Up next is the Heart O' Dixie Triathlon on July 25th where I hope this time around to be able to hold off the fat ladies. That is what the bike riding and the bonk workout is for. If a large lady tries to pass me this year, I may kick her off her bicycle. Anybody out there willing to go my bail?

No comments:

Post a Comment