Tuesday, July 14, 2015

The Thinking Mode Again

I've been doing some thinking. Yeah, you've read that sentence before (see "The Thinking Mode" 6/30/15). This time, however, instead of just asking questions, I came up with some answers. 

Some. 

First, I plan on continuing the Chicot Challenge. I have spent four years building the name, the brand if you will, and the expectation of this swim. Some people know about it and look forward to it. Many do not. I still am puzzled at the lack of attention the swim receives in some circles. For instance, Lake Village, Arkansas, the site of the swim, has no clue it even takes place. In my attempts to raise funds for the DFM, I have never raised a single penny from that town. The mayor turns a blind eye. The local newspaper turns a blind eye. The populace is clueless. The people I rent a boat from, rent a room from, buy food from, and give free publicity to refused my request for a small (and it would have been financially beneficial for them) sponsorship. I'm just not good at this kind of stuff. The promotion, that is.

My specialty is swimming, and I'd like to stick to just that. But to be a good fundraiser, I need to be better at the other aspects of the event. If someone, anyone, could give me some information on publicity and securing sponsorship, I would be extremely appreciative. Really. Inbox me. Email me. Call me. Meet me for lunch. I will pay for the meal and take notes while I pick your brains. I will then give you all the credit on this blog, on Facebook, and on YouTube that I can.

The ride on the Rez has thrown some serious cravings upon me. I definitely want to swim there. When and how far are still in the thinking mode. One thing is sure: when I get old and decrepit, I don't want to lie languishing in a nursing home wishing I had swum the Rez and the Tenn-Tom and some of the other bodies of water on my bucket list. I am not a young man. It is time to make these things happen while I still can.

And speaking of old and decrepit. I hope I don't get that way. I intend to fight old age every step of the way. My dad did. You've heard the expression, "He died with his boots on." My dad literally died with his running shoes on. I hope to go the same way. But even at that, he had reached a point in his life when he could no longer do a lot of the things he did when he was younger. One thing is for sure, he never looked back and said, "I wish I had fished more in Louisiana, or I had hunted birds more or played more tennis." He went after the things he wanted to do with a vengeance. Everything on his bucket list was crossed off. 

Back to the Rez. Right now I am thinking we might do an exploratory swim this fall and if that goes well come back in 2016 for a DFM fundraiser. I need a name. I need a goal. I need some energy. I am open for suggestions on the name. Message me on Facebook if you have an idea. 

Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment