Monday, July 13, 2015

Luvie's Monday Report

Luvie is a little ticked at me, and I can't blame him. I became a bit lazy this past week but not in a disastrous way. Let's just call it a recovery cycle and be done with it. Monday, I lifted weights, upper body, and did a short run of 2.31 miles after which I worked in the yard. For some reason unknown, I failed to muster the umph to drag out my bicycle and take a ride.

Tuesday was only a little better, I did some transition work in a little circuit I call a dryland triathlon. It goes something like this: mimic the swim fatigue and blood distribution of a swim with some weightlifting that ends with a set of swim pulls (my sports specific strength builder on the lat pull down machine), a quick set of squats to pre-exhaust the quadriceps, a turn on the bike trainer, and a run on the treadmill. I did three rounds for a total of 43:00 on the trainer and 2.31 on the treadmill. Did you notice that? I ran the exact distance Tuesday as I did Monday. That wasn't planned or noticed until Luvie crunched the numbers. Later I made it to Twin Rivers where I swam 3,700 as

1,700
5 X 100 @ 2:00
400 countdown
2 X 300
1 X 500

Wednesday I ran 5.12, did some more squatting afterwards, and then went to the pool where I swam

2,000
6 X 100 @ 2:00
300 small paddles (m first paddle set in months)
600
200 small paddles
total: 3,700 meters.

Did you notice that? I swam the same distance Wednesday as I did Tuesday, I would never have done that intentionally and didn't know I had until Luvie ran the numbers and pointed it out to me. Shucks!

Thursday I went to Jackson to make an exploratory cruise with Captain Coco and First Mate Larry Green, which I wrote about that already in "Ride on the Rez." Thus, I did no physical exercise that day although I did exercise my imagination. 

Friday I went to Carroll County and ran the hills. When I say I went to Carroll County, unless otherwise noted, that means I went to the cabin, the Hodge Training Center. Every time I go there now, I can see my dad's absence on display. Fields need bush hogging, limbs need moved out of the road (I moved a few), a huge tree down in a field offers firewood for years to anyone who will cut, the garden spots grow only weeds, and the cabin is filthy. That last one is the absence of Mom's health because Dad never cleaned. Like me, he was good at messing up, but his cleaning was restricted to the outdoors.

It was a good day in the country, and I made my way to my favorite hill, a stretch of county road that goes up for a half mile at an incline of three  to seven percent (I am guessing). I pretty much just destroyed myself over there going up and down and down and up. When I couldn't take it anymore, I slowly shuffled back to the cabin for a total of 10.5 miles running.

Saturday morning I spoke at the Greenwood Leflore Public Library on diabetes. My three main points were: Why Diabetes, Why the DFM, and Why the Chicot Challenge. Both of my sisters showed up which was very touching to me. Also, a couple of former students were in the crowd. It was an honor to be asked to speak (Is not the hand of Joab, er Forrest, in this?), and I had the opportunity to pass out some of that literature I had collected from the DFM at the Legal Professionals meeting in Pearl, a while back. 

After the meeting, we, my sisters and I along with Dr. Battman and a friend of hers, went to Veronica's Bakery for lunch. That was nice, my first trip there but certainly not my last. I was smitten with laziness for the rest of the day. I did force myself outdoors for an easy twenty-mile ride to Money and back. I intended to lift some weights a bit later but never found my round-to-it.

For the week, I

ran 21.62 and walked 3.52 miles,
lifted weights three times,
spun forty-three minutes on the trainer and rode 30.4 miles on the road,
and swam 7,400 meters.

No comments:

Post a Comment