Thursday, June 2, 2016

More Weather Wonderings

Even after that last post, I am still scheming and dreaming and fretting and fuming over the weather. Although the forecasts have improved, the Weather Channel is still showing 80% chance of thunderstorms for Saturday. That is just not going to work. Have you ever noticed how much people talk about the weather? Of course you have. We talk about it, watch the news to hear someone else talk about it; we complain about it, fuss over it, get mad about it, but no one on earth can do a blame thing about it but pray.

The Bible says that Elijah was a man of like passions as we, yet he prayed it would not rain and it did not rain upon the earth for a span of three years. He then prayed for rain, and it rained. There is an intended lesson in there and it is not very complicated. Of course the passage is about faith, but how many of us have that kind of faith. I almost don't even feel guilty for not having that kind of faith because Elijah's situation had to do with the glory of God and God's program and purpose.

I know someone will say, "So does your swim." Maybe it does, but I can't put it into the same category as what was happening with Elijah at that time. The Chicot Challenge, though important to me, is not a national security issue nor is it going to impact the spiritual condition of an entire nation. The swim is important to me and a few people who love me and it has some impact on the Diabetes Foundation of Mississippi. But if it went away, scarcely anyone would notice.

My whole line of thinking may be erroneous. Perhaps the "little things" in our lives, as we call them, are just as important to God as the things that are obviously big and impact more people. That may or may not be the case, but I can't convince myself that it is. If I am wrong, Oh Lord, forgive me and please show me otherwise. I do know God cares about everything going on with His children. But if He let us control the weather with our prayers, would we not have chaos? One person wants rain for the garden or farm crops, the storm chaser wants tornadoes, I want heat and clear skies, while most people want it mild and partly sunny. We literally can't have all of that all the time.

So with all of that said, you may ask why I have been praying about the weather and asking all my friends to do likewise. I suppose I do believe it would not upset things too much for God to give me a perfect day for the swim. That leaves Him 364 days to give us something else. I therefore pray but I do so with an imperfect faith. Does that make my prayers sin? The Bible says, "Whatsoever is not of faith is sin."

Well, I don't have all the answers, but I do have a bunch of questions. I learned a long time ago when you don't know what you think you should know or what you want to know, always fall back on what you do know, namely Jesus. I know Him, and I know His thoughts for me, for us, are thoughts of peace. 

So God, can I have that perfect day now? Please?

No comments:

Post a Comment