Tuesday, December 20, 2016

12/5 = 12/11

It was me most worstest training cycle of the year. Monday I stayed with Mom most of the day and when I got home I was just lazy from sitting around so I did more sitting around and watched some worthless television. 

Tuesday, MDCC's English Department held its Christmas party at Emily Riser's house so I ate too much, sat too much, and talked too much (a common failing of mine). In the afternoon, I dragged myself to the back yard to lift some weights. My bench press session went like this:

15 X 100
8 X 120
6 X 140
4 X 150 
2 X 160
1 X 165
1 X 170 (new record)
1 X 171 (new record)
3 X 160 (new record)
4 X 155 (new record)
5 X 150 (new record)

I reached some new levels for my bench strength. I have long noticed a correlation between it and my 50 meter times. Stronger = faster. I am not sure how this strength relates to endurance swimming, but I theorize that it at least helps lay a base of exercise capacity and muscle toughness. By "toughness" I mean a resistance to muscle fiber breakdown which is helpful in being able to train big one day and follow up with more good training the next day.

Wednesday I stayed with Mom and did nothing physical. Thursday, however, I drove over to DSU at lunch time and swam

3,000 1:00:47
10 X 50 @1:15
8 X 150 @3:09 with small paddles
400 easy 8:11
total: 5,100 meters.

Friday I went back to the water treadmill and simply swam 3,100 straight in 1:01:23. I stopped to get out and use the restroom, but I picked up my bag at the end of my lane, a sure sign that I lacked to motivation to come back out. I lacked the motivation to come back out. We were scheduled to eat with Gerald and Debbie that night, and I didn't want to tire myself too much and be bad company.

Saturday I lifted more weight and did some mowing. I focused on reps and worked the entire upper body. The bench session went like

22 X 100
13 X 120
10 X 130 paused
then three sets of incline dumbbell bench presses (30, 35, 40).

That night we had another eat out and Sunday we had our Christmas eating at church. Notice all this eating? My belly is so big right now that I can hardly breathe. 

For the week, I 

ran - nothing
lifted weights - two sessions
swam - 8,200 meters.

Tis the season to be jolly.

No comments:

Post a Comment