Sunday, July 22, 2012

Sundays

Today is Sunday, and my wife and I are doing what we normally do on this day: nothing. I train hard six days a week, but on the Sunday I take the day totally off. Since we pastor a small church, we go to worship in the morning, then out to eat for lunch. But after that it is nap time. We both spend the afternoon and night just lounging around and resting up for the next week. I've come to the conclusion that God was right about the Sabbath. We really do need the rest. After being a pastor for twenty-one years, I've concluded that God is right nine times out of ten.

In my first post, I wrote about my choice of the name "EndangeredSwimmer." You might be interested in knowing what other names I was considering. One name I pondered was "ColdwaterSissy." I read the blogs of cold water swimmers with admiration and awe. Every spring I'm eager to get into the open water and crank up some distance. However, I can't seem to pull off the kind of swimming others find commonplace. In short, I'm a weenie when it comes to cold water. I got in a catfish pond last February with a full wetsuit on. I couldn't take it. I'll try again next February armed with the knowledge that other people pull it off. Maybe I'll be successful then.
Another name I actually like more than the one I chose is "RaceswithFatLadies." There are a whole lot of stories behind that name and maybe I'll write about them sometimes. But my wife, and others, helped dissuade me from that choice. I really don't want to offend, but I've had me some epic battles with obese women in 10Ks, triathlons, and marathons. So far no large ladies have beaten me in open water swims, although I'm sure there are some (many even) who could.

Last week was a pretty good training week. I swam 28,624 meters, ran 14.68 miles, biked 43.5 miles, walked 2.82 miles, and lifted weights twice. For me, 20,000 meters and up  is big yardage.

No comments:

Post a Comment