Saturday, July 21, 2012

HOD Training

Since this is my very first blog post, I thought I might dedicate a few sentences to what this blog is intended to be about. I plan to write, primarily, about my alleged athletic adventures which mostly center around swimming. The title I chose for this site, EndangeredSwimmer, refers to the virtually extinct state of open water swimming in my home state of Mississippi. This title is a bit of a misnomer because the term "extinct" implies the threatened survival of something that once thrived. If open water swimming ever even existed in Mississippi, I am totally unaware of it. I know a few swimmers, but only a couple of them show any inclination to swim outside of a pool, a triathlon or two notwithstanding. With that said, I turn to what I plan normally to do: give a short summary of my training.

Today I met my buddy, Randal Beets, one of Missississippi's rare open water swimmers at Twin Rivers Recreational Center. Our plan was to swim, bike, and run as a last ditch effort to prepare for next Saturday's Heart O' Dixie Triathlon. We swam 3,800 LCM as follows: 1,000 + 10 X 100 @ 2:15 + 500 easy + 8 X 100 @ 2:00 + 500 easy. I wanted a little more swimming, but Randy was ready to ride so we changed and rode our bikes 20+ miles to the little hamlet of Phillip where we ate lunch before riding back. We then "ran" (shuffle is a more accurate term) for a little over four miles. It was hot, we were tired, and our pace was horrendous.  

No comments:

Post a Comment