Thursday, July 26, 2012

Time, Motive, Opportunity

Since The Swim the Suck Ten-Miler in Chattanooga, TN (Oct 6) is my next A-list event, I've been trying to hit a minimum of 20,000 meters with one 10,000 meter session per week after taking four weeks of low volume swimming following The Chicot-Challenge in early June. Usually, Randy and I go to the pond on Saturday and get in our long swim, but The Heart O' Dixie Triathlon (.5 x 27.5 x 7) knocks that out this Saturday, and Bikes, Blues, and Bayous (Greenwood's annual bike ride) eliminates it the next. That leaves me looking for a long swim during the week.

Monday I knocked off 7,000 straight before abandoning the pool to the ladies water aerobics (you who think I over use certain insensitive terms, applaud me here). Tuesday and Thursday are Masters and Friday is way too close to the HOD for a swim that long. This left Wednesday. I went to the pool after 5:00 o'clock with the time, motive, and opportunity to get my 10K, but I discovered that motive is not the same as motivation. I suffered from low energy and uncooperative bicep muscles. After changing my lifting program last week, my traps and biceps have not yet adjusted.

I did some light running in the morning and a little dryland. At the pool I managed:

1,600
500 kick with fins
1,000
Total only 3,100.

Then I succumbed to the allure of my cookie dough waiting for me at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment